kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HCX Guide to Healthy Snacking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Snack bars have always been a popular product, loved most for being so portable, easy to eat and delicious. However, with the healthy eating trend on the rise, chocolate and sweet snack bars have lost a few customers. To fill this gap in the market there has been a huge boom in healthy snack bars, but with so much choice, which ones are the healthiest for us?

Nakd bars

A real variety of flavours (and textures!) are available, so you can find your favourite. Personally I love the cashew cookie and pecan pie flavours, as I am a self-confessed nut addict. Buy a variety pack of these and you wont regret it!

The Primal Kitchen

An up and coming brand based on the “paleo” diet. The bar prides itself on being free from refined sugars, grains and vegetable oils. The bar is quite date-heavy, so if you’re not a fan of dates this snack bar may not be for you.

Jordan’s cereal bars

Lower in sugar and fat than the other options but not gluten or wheat free. Not as full in flavour as the others but they are the cheapest option, available from most supermarkets.

Bounce Balls

For all those ‘protein junkies’ out there! Actually for anyone that works out and wants to increase protein intake, this snack ball provides 9-14g of protein whilst also tasting delicious. They also do superfood varieties, incorporating spirulina, ginseng and carob. You can be sure to get your daily dose of fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants!

Taste of Nature

Not available in a wide variety of retailers but a delicious snack bar that should be getting more custom. Uses only organic and non-GM ingredients, and you can really taste the difference. However, this bar is highest in carbs and scores lowest in protein and fat so may be best for a pre-cardio boost.

In my opinion, Nakd bars and Taste of Nature bars are the best. However, they can be quite expensive, therefore something like the Jordan’s cereal bar could be a good compromise if you’re on a tight budget. If you workout most days then Bounce Balls are definitely the way to go. They taste delicious and are an easy, portable source of protein.

Happy snacking!

I am a third year Sport and Exercise Science student at Exeter Uni. I have strong interests in nutrition and health. I keep fit by going to fitness classes and playing football and believe that exercise makes us feel great! I also run a healthy food blog via Instagram (@foodie_bee) and on the web (www.foodie--bee.blogspot.co.uk). Here I post articles to do with healthy eating on a student budget and current trends in the healthy food industry. In the future I hope to have a job involved with nutrition and helping people to live a healthy lifestyle.