HCX Campus Celebrity: Olufemi Fagbemi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week, Her Campus Exeter had the pleasure of catching up with the club captain of Exeter University Amateur Boxing Club, Olufemi Fagbemi, who gives us an insight into the club.

Year: 4

Course: Engineering and Management

As club captian of Amateur Boxing, what plans do you have for the society this year?

Well, last year we had a really successful year, winning sports team of the year, most developed club of the year and our current squad captain winning club captain of the year.

I would like to continue this run of success, but at the same time, I would like to improve the experience of our members who aren’t interested in competing but just want to go to socials, learn a new sport and stay fit.

This year I am trying to get a lot more events going on that all members of the club can get involved with, no matter what reason they have for joining the club. For example, we have a team doing Rock Solid in March, and we are hoping to have some more events lined up.

A club of many talents! While you’re not busy running the club, what do you like to do around Exeter?

Honestly, I don’t do much that doesn’t involve boxing and coursework these days. Whenever I do get free time, I’m probably just hanging out with mates watching trashy reality shows.

That sounds a lot like the rest of us… As a very sociable society, what’s been your most memorable social so far?

If I had to pick one it would probably be our first social in my second year. It was supposed to be in my house, but we had about 90 people show up and couldn’t fit them in, so we ended up having the social in a dark little alley and car park nearby. Sounds weird but it is definitely up there with one of my top socials ever.

Well that definitely does sound like an interesting, yet fun-filled night! What advice would you give to anyone interested in joining Boxing?

Do not take yourself too seriously – relax and listen to any advice given to you. Boxing is a lot more complex than it seems, so if you show up expecting to be like Tyson after one session, it’s not going to happen. Also, do not worry about looking bad on your first day, everyone starts out a bit s***, but we do not judge and everyone is willing to help out.

Thank you so much for your time!

Why not try something new and give Boxing a go. The club really does offer something for everyone, and you can’t go wrong with a club focussed on fitness and fun!

Deputy Editor for Culture at Her Campus Exeter. I am a final year student studying Classics and German at the University of Exeter.