HCX Campus Celebrity: Kieran Holmes-Martin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week, Her Campus Exeter had the privilege of speaking to the notorious Kieran Holmes-Martin. As well as being a bit of a socialite, Kieran is a keen windsurfer with high ambitions. Recently back from a big windsurfing competition, he gives us the low down on his busy life.

Year: 3

Course: Engineering

So Kieran, tell us about your most recent windsurfing success?

I spent a week in Oman competing at the windsurfing world championships. There were 13 races and I came 17th. There was no pork allowed and it was super hot the entire time (a bit like my sex life). The week was so busy and a bit of a stressful blur. It ruined my hands and overall out of U21, I came 2nd  (also a bit like my sex life!). But despite being exhausting, it was an amazing experience and a great competition.

Being a third year, you must have a lot of university work to keep on top of as well. How do you manage keeping up with your engineering degree, having a social life and windsurfing training?

I have become very skilled at the art of comparing answers. As far as going to training and events and still completing my work, I am great at doing my reading while driving!

You’ve achieved a lot in your 20 years! How old were you when you learnt to windsurf?

I started windsurfing at 7 or 8 years old and was probably in my prime. Sort of gone downhill since then!

What other sports do you enjoy, have you found that being good at one makes it easier to do others like it?

I’m an avid chess boxer. It really helps balance my mind being under immense pressure whilst having a beat down. But I am a keen surfer and you can find me regularly in the gym keeping my rig in top shape.

What’s been the piece of advice that’s helped you the most?

Over the years I have gained a lot of useful knowledge from various wise individuals. However, a good friend of mine once told me a phrase that will stay with me until the day I die. It went something like: ‘Kieran! Enough with the nakedness, put some clothes on and start doing some work!’

Why did you start windsurfing competitively?

Well, for the athletic challenge, the thrill of the competition or my love of being outdoors. In reality though: It’s for the rig and the lifestyle.

It must involve a lot of travel to keep up your training, how often do you train and compete?

In the week I keep up my fitness levels at the gym and play squash. The weekends are for windsurfing training and then I sometimes have to take a bit of time away to compete.

So despite studying at uni, you must be very keen to continue windsurfing. What is your ultimate aim in windsurfing?

I’m aiming for the Olympics. Not any particular one but the big dream is definitely that. Watch this space…

Thanks so much for giving us an insight into your crazy life Kieran. It doesn’t sound like you need it, but good luck!

Health and Fitness Deputy EditorI'm a third year English student with a passion for living a healthy lifestyle. I love healthy baking, trying new recipes and enjoy practising yoga in my free time.