absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fun and Frightful Recipes for Halloween Fanatics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As far as we’re concerned at Her Campus, Halloween lasts all month, and tasty treats are definitely the best part of it. But sometimes it can be difficult to find easy-to-make, spooktastic snacks, especially when everyone things you’re too old for trick or treating. Trust me, even at university, you’re never too old for free sweets!

Fear not, we’ve put together some recipes of a few tantalising treats which will get you in the Halloween spirit and are guaranteed to make any student’s mouth water!

Fright Night Fancies

Difficulty Level: Easy

Ingredients:

• Ready Made Vanilla Cupcakes (or make your own)
  • Canned apricot halves
  • Raspberry jam
  • Ready to roll fondant icing
  • Black icing pen

Directions:

1. Remove the cakes from their wrappers and trim the cake tops to make a flat surface.
  2. Turn the cakes over and brush with the juice from the canned apricots.
  3. Put a dollop of jam and then an apricot half on top of each cake.
  4. Roll out the icing to the thickness of a 50p and use a cookie cutter to stamp out circles.
  5. Drape a circle over each cake to make your little ghost and draw on an adorable (or scary!) face with the icing pen.

Mini Toffee Apple Bites

Difficulty Level: Easy – Kind Of Fiddly

Ingredients:

• Apples
  • Lollipop Sticks
  • Caramel
  • Cream (double)
  • Optional toppings: crushed nuts or cookies, sprinkles

Directions:

1. Peel the apples and cut them into bite size pieces. Stick each piece onto the end of a lollipop stick.
  2. Melt the caramel according to the instructions on the packet! (Do use the instructions or you’ll end up in a mess, trust me on this one!) After melting, place it next to a bowl of icy water.
  3. Dry the outsides of the apples and then dip into the caramel sauce. Dunk them into the cold water to let the caramel set.
  4. Dip the bites into the preferred topping of your choice!

Sausage Mummy Dippers

Difficulty Level: Easy

Ingredients:

• 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp ketchup
  • 2 tsp smooth yellow mustard
  • 12 chipolta
  • Ready to roll croissant dough

Directions:

1. Heat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6 and brush 2 baking trays with a tiny bit of oil.
  2. Mix the honey, ketchup and mustard together in a bowl and then brush this over the chipolata sausages.
  3. Unroll the croissant dough and cut into small strips, these will make the mini mummy bandages!
  4. Wind these little strips around the chipolatas and leave a little space at one end for the eyes. Place on the baking tray and bake for 20 mins.
  5. Allow the cute mummies to cool and then dot a pair of yellow mustard eyes on each. Serve with your favourite Halloween dip!

Batty Baby Bats

Difficulty Level: Super Easy

Ingredients:

• OREO thins 
  • Mini Reese’s Cups
  • Cream Cheese frosting 
  • A packet of icing eyeballs (trust me there are such things)!

Directions:

1. Remove the wrappers of the Reese’s Cups
  2. Cut the Oreo thins in half and take off the filling.
  3. Smear some cream cheese frosting on the back corners of the OREO thin ‘wings’ and attach them to the Reese’s cup to make the wings of your baby bat.
  4. Add frosting to the back of your icing eyeballs and place them on the Reese’s Cup or OREOs to complete your mini bat!

And, last but not least, would Halloween at university be complete without an alcohol filled, ghostly cocktail?

Red Devil Cocktail

Mix:

• 2 fluid ounces vodka
  • ¾ fluid ounce peach schnapps
  • 3-4 fluid ounces cranberry juice

Serve with ice and enjoy this devilish drink!

We hope you enjoy all these haunting recipes and have a delicious, spooktastic Halloween month! 

Third year English student and aspiring journalist! My talents include; successfully quoting almost any Friends episode; getting excited about Christmas in October, (every year without fail), and owning one too many Bobbi Brown lipsticks. I mean, is there such a thing as too many?!