This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you’re looking for a sport that is fun, sociable and as competitive as you want it to be than korfball could be the answer!

Korfball is a unisex Dutch sport relatively new to the UK and is classed as a minority sport, so you’ll be forgiven for not knowing what it is! It began in Exeter in 2009 and is now part of several national and beginner’s tournaments, including BUCS as well as playing local non-university teams.

Most people who join korfball are complete rookies.  Some come from a netball or basketball background and whilst this can be a great help (as korfball is often described as a mix between these games), it’s not at all necessary.

So what is korfball you’re probably asking? Korfball is played as a team of 8, with four boys and four girls in the team. Half of a court holds two girls and two boys who play attack, and the other half is the defence. Both ends have a strange kind of yellow hoop, which is where you shoot, and there are many kinds of unheard of before rules such as not being allowed to shoot if someone is defending you at the time. Any attacker can shoot in korfball and, despite it being a mixed sex sport; you will always be defending someone of your own sex. 

Unlike many sports where you have a fixed position, players in korfball learn to be both good attackers and defenders as the players switch court halves every two goals scored. All of this results in a game that is fast paced, varied and tactical. It works on a range of skills as everyone does everything, meaning it can be quite tiring! Games last an hour with a ten-minute break in between for a well deserved rest!

Korf, being fairly new and unheard of, has the benefit that many of the club members are there to have fun and try something new. It is a fun friendly environment. Training is weekly and always starts with a warm up and stretches. Sessions then move on to practice certain skills or maneuvers and formations before ending with match play. If you’re worried about being new to the sport, don’t be! The coach will take you through how to play, shoot and all the rules involved each week. Last years second team was made up completely of beginners as well as others being given the chance to play, so there really is an opportunity for anyone who is keen to get involved. As long as you put the effort in, there will be lots of chances to get involved with the club.

Like many AU clubs, korf holds many socials throughout the year. As a relatively small club these are good to make new friends, get involved in games or end up singing in Rameoke as happened in the last social. Korfball is a great way to meet new people and you don’t need to worry about not knowing what to do, most people don’t at the start!

Health and Fitness Deputy EditorI'm a third year English student with a passion for living a healthy lifestyle. I love healthy baking, trying new recipes and enjoy practising yoga in my free time.