Exeter’s Top Chilled Out Festive Attractions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s that time of year: we’re all drowning in deadlines, the end of term has snuck up on us leaving us woefully underprepared for Christmas and we’re ignoring questions from Mum about how ‘work is going’. If you need a break from the stress and the mayhem and don’t fancy the chaos of Christmas Cheesy Tuesdays, look no further for the laidback festive options Exe has to offer…

1. Cathedral Christmas Market

Of course, the market tops the list. It’s everyone’s favourite place in the city at this time of year with fairy lights, mulled cider, carolling, free samples of cheese and chocolate wine and all sorts of local crafts. My recommendation? Head there in the afternoon if you can – it’s not as cold nor as busy and the queue to grab chocolate-dipped churros is much shorter!

2. Glorious Art House

Glorious Art House is famed amongst Instagram-lovers for its trendy décor and bright colours but it is also the place to find the best hot chocolates in the city. It’s also a little off the beaten track so should give you some peace and quiet away from the madness of Princesshay. Move over Costa – these massive mugs of festive cheer are essential in the run up to Christmas after your hours of gift shopping!

3. Double Locks

If you fancy a revision/essay break, take a wander down the River Exe to this cosy pub. Boasting two open log fires, a selection of mulled wines and arguably the most picturesque view a pub offers in Exeter, you can’t go wrong with Double Locks. It’s always nice to get away from the city a bit and the walk there and back is a lovely one to enjoy in some winter sunshine.

4. Tenpin Bowling

Tuesday’s Boozy Bowling is a legendary event for most of Exeter’s societies, but it doesn’t have to be a go hard or go home drinking fest (unless you want it to be!). The bowling alley has some fab Christmas offers for an afternoon of fun in this last week of term. Grab some friends, don some Christmas jumpers and book online for £11.99 for two games AND a drink!

Emma is a sophomore at American University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Political Science and Women's Studies. She loves to write, journal, and blog in her free time. Emma is a Communications Intern at the Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE), a non-profit in DC. She is a social media editor for Her Campus American.