Exeter University: Best in the South West

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Exeter University is officially the best university in the South West, according to The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015 (something we can now boast about with pride without facing accusations of bias). Exeter outranked the University of Bath, the former title holders in 2014, and Bristol who were 19th place on the 2015 national table. And if you weren’t already congratulating yourself on your savvy UCAS choice as a student of the university, you’ll be pleased to know we also ranked an exceptional 7th place on the national league tables, improving upon our already impressive 8th place on the league tables last year. If that isn’t enough, we can add best campus university to the list of the university’s achievements this year

The comprehensive Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide, published last weekend, takes into account a vast criteria. These include student satisfaction, research quality, graduate prospects, entrance qualifications held by new students, degree results, student/staff ratios, service and facilities spending, and university dropout rates. The guide calculated an 86.4% student satisfaction rating for Exeter (higher than the Oxbridge satisfaction ratings) with £2,356 being spent on facilities for each student. Furthermore, the University scored a strong 79.6% for graduate prospects, achieving an excellent all-round rating.

Overall, it can be said that this has been a successful year for the university, the Sunday Times University of the Year in 2012-2013. Applications in the last year alone have increased by 29%, more than double the University of Bath which had an increase of 12% last year. 

With results like these its little wonder there’s been such a surge in prospective applicants. Exeter’s glowing reputation, excellent academic and sporting facilities and beautiful campus are enticing enough for even the fussiest of applicants, and did we mention the Ram’s famous curly fries? 

What else is happening in Exeter this week?

Official Opening of Exeter Mathematics School

The University of Exeter is one of the sponsors of the Exeter Mathematics School, a specialist school that opened on Friday 19th September. The purpose of the sixth-form school is to act as a regional centre for gifted mathematicians from Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset.

Is Princesshay the ‘coolest place to work in UK’?

We love Princesshay for loan-day splurges, going out essentials and the restaurants which are perfect for when our parents visit. Now Princesshay shopping centre has been shortlisted for Capital Properties’ competition ‘UK’s Coolest Places to Work’ due to Princeshay’s “mix of heritage architecture and sleek office and retail spaces”. Princesshay now competes against Manchester’s Spinningfeilds, Edinburgh’s New Town, Cambridge’s Future Business Centre and Dorset’s Dolphin Shopping & Leisure precinct. The winner will be granted a plaque to celebrate the achievement. However will Princesshay employees really think it is the coolest place to work on the 1st October when they will be restraining discount-hungry students in the student Lock-in?

Jamie’s Italian to open in Princesshay!

We didn’t think it was possible for Exeter to have any more restaurants for us to blow our loan on. However, it has been revealed that Jamie Oliver, celebrity chef, will open his restaurant Jamie’s Italian in Princesshay. It will be located between Coal Grill & Bar and Café Rouge and it is the first Jamie’s Italian to open in the Devon and Cornwall region. A spokesman added that it will offer fresh, carefully sourced and seasonal ingredients “to make beautiful rustic Italian dishes with a Jamie twist”.