This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Like many students on campus I took the traditional ‘Gap-Yah’, before coming to university and spent mine working for twelve months in India. Since I got back to the UK I’ve been craving Indian life; my whole flat has been covered in henna, subjected to hours of Bollywood music and my room here is plastered in pictures of various Hindu Gods and Goddesses.

The main thing I miss from my time away though are the festivals– India is a country that knows how to party! So I was delighted to find out that one of my favourite festivals is being celebrated in a big way, right here on campus! 

I spoke to my close friend Yunus Lasania, a journalist for the Times of India and asked him to tell me why Diwali is so important in Indian culture:

‘Known as the ‘festival of lights’, Diwali is an ancient Hindu festival, celebrated every year in autumn. Signifying the victory of ‘light over darkness’, good over evil, knowledge over ignorance and hope over despair.’

‘The festival extends over a five-day period, with the main day coinciding with the darkest, new moon; on the night of the Hindu lunar-solar month known as ‘Kartik’. It is marked by the bursting of firecrackers across the country, all day and night, especially on the last day of the festival and people flock to temples to perform pujas (an act of worship, with food offerings; using candles and incense). It is one of the great human spectacles.’

So what is happening for Diwali on campus and how can you get involved?

Well, Asian society will be having their celebration on Sunday 26th October at the Forum.  Here’s what they said when I got in touch:

‘Every year we start off with a Puja, just how it’s done back home. After that we have stalls representing the four parts of India, the north, south, east and west. At these stalls we have some traditional clothing worn in the area for people to see, also with a small activity that can be related to the area.’

‘Along with that we also have a Bollywood stall, only because it is such a big part of what India is and that’s what people relate to most. We then have a few dance performances by the students of the university; it’s a way of representing our culture.’

‘This is followed by Indian snacks provided by a local restaurant. After which we have a fireworks show, just because it’s such a big part of how the festival is celebrated at home and this is probably what most students miss the most.’

Best of all; this event is completely free and you won’t need a ticket! So, if you fancy some free Indian snacks, getting some new Indian inspired fashion ideas or just want to watch some talented dancers and a fireworks display (who doesn’t like free food and fireworks?) then come along, join in and try out your Bangra dance steps!

For more information visit the Asian Exeter Society Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/asocexeter