Exeter Brands: HCX Talks to Zookie.org.uk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Here at Her Campus, we love supporting local businesses and celebrating student enterprise. So when we heard about Zookie.org.uk, an online retailer specialising in selling independent brands, and run by University of Exeter ITMB student Tom Shopland, we couldn’t wait to find out more! If you’re bored of the high street, Zookie.org.uk is your one-stop-shop to some amazing new brands that will freshen up your wardrobe, and make you stand out at all the student haunts. With everything from statement t-shirts to quirky jewellery catering to guys and girls, Zookie.org.uk has the answers to your fashion needs. So what’s it like running your own business whilst being at university? We spoke to company founder and third year student Tom to find out…

What inspired you to set up Zookie.org.uk? Tell us about how you started it…

Well personally I love independent clothing brands but they’re always so damn hard to find! So we came up with the idea of putting them all under one roof – it’s really quite simple but just hasn’t been done quite right, until now!

So this summer, myself and a best mate of mine, Tom Hargrave (a computer nerd from Bristol University) purchased ourselves a tonne of whiteboard paper to scribble down every idea we had and started getting feedback on the idea from lots of brands and then we simply committed!

Why fashion?

From a business point of view, it’s a huge market and being students ourselves we felt like we understood the wants and needs of our target market.

From a personal view point, I’ve always loved cool clothes, who doesn’t! But I’ve always liked wearing something that allows me to express who I am, which can be difficult to find in some high street stores where they’re trying to appeal to so many but allow you express so little.

How have you managed to balance your studies whilst running your own business?

I know it’s a cliché to say, but honestly, when you’re interested in seeing something succeed it doesn’t feel like a chore, it feels rewarding more like a hobby and I squeeze the time in wherever I can. Even if that means after a night out! I have to say my sporting and girlfriend commitments have been slightly suffering in attention!

What makes Zookie.org.uk stand out as an online retailer?

One of our key aims is to really sell the vibrant personalities of each brand by having a customisable brand shop, because that’s what really makes independent clothing brands special, the personality indulged in each brand.

We’re more than just another platform for our brands to sell on, we find every opportunity we can to further our brands exposure through various forms like pop up shops, sponsoring events, social media marketing, getting fashion bloggers to blog about their favourite brands etc.

How would you describe the ideal Zookie.org.uk customer?

If you like doing things slightly different from the mainstream, and this can be anything from music to sports, you’ll love what’s on offer on Zookie.

What are the latest brands on the site?

We’re uploading new brands everyday but my 3 favourite this week has to be Hazelle Doll, Prints and Paradise and Wilderness Street Apparel (pictured).

What are your key AW13 pieces?

These are some of my favourite girls pieces, which are the Blue Racoon Minxie sweatshirt, and the Wilderness Street Apparel Varsity Jacket.

Where do you hope to take Zookie.org.uk in the future?

We’re going to start doing pop up shops where we’ll be bringing the clothes to you, so be sure to look out for those on campus! The plan is to keep the website growing with lots of new and exciting brands that people haven’t seen before; we’re aiming for 100 brands by Christmas.

What advice would you give to aspiring student entrepreneurs?

If you’ve got an idea, there’s only so long you can sit there thinking about it, you have to throw your hands in the air and get stuck in, it’s the only way you’ll get anywhere and the only way you’ll learn. Don’t be afraid to get in contact with whoever you may dream of, the world is in fact a rather friendly place and you’ll be surprised at how many people will be interested in helping you succeed! Including us, so give us a shout if you need anything at info@zookie.org.uk

For the chance to win an exclusive piece from their site, keep your eyes peeled for our upcoming competition!

Lily Houghton is in her final year at Exeter studying English. With an unhealthy addiction to shopping, and unparalled knowledge of Exeter's retail sector, the role of Fashion and Beauty Editor seemed to be made for Lily, and her parents were thrilled she channelled her energy towards something that didn't involve spending money. Whilst her goal of bringing the catwalks of Milan and Paris to the sunny south of England may be slighty ambitious, she also hopes to banish the jeans/flip-flop trend from campus once and for all, and impose an immediate expulsion rule on anyone seen in daylight in a onesie. Contradictory to many women interested in fashion, she loves cake, her Ugg boots, and spending an afternoon immersed in an Emily Dickinson anthology. She hopes to travel America before going into the fashion industry, although she still hasn't come to terms with just how soon she will be graduating.