Deadline Success: The Pomodoro Technique

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Struggling to be productive? Juggling deadlines and getting nothing done? Kidding yourself you’ve only spent 5 minutes on Facebook? HerCampus has tried and tested a method to easily double your productivity!

I am the first to be sceptical of fads, revision techniques and complicated ways to try and improve productivity, but with over 2 million people having read the e-book, I thought I’d give it a try!

HerCampus has done the leg work so you don’t have to, and after a few days of testing out the Pomodoro technique I can honestly say it really works!

What is it?

The Pomodoro Technique is a time management method developed by Francesco Cirillo in the late 1980s.

The basics:

1.     Make a list of clearly defined tasks you want to achieve and choose one to concentrate on.

2.     Set a kitchen timer or one on your phone for 25 minutes.

3.     In this timed working session make sure you have no distractions: put away your phone, close down your Facebook and allow yourself to concentrate.

4.     When the timer goes off you can have a break, only 5-10 minutes but use this time to re-check your Facebook, make a hot drink whatever is the most relaxing to you.

5.     After this break you repeat the regime of a 25 minute working session and 5-10 minute break 3 more times!

Once you have completed the technique 4 times you are allowed a 30 minute break, giving you plenty of time to eat, socialise and catch up on all your social media!

You can then continue to repeat the method as many times as you wish in your working day until your tasks are completed. Make note of how many pomodoro’s you use to complete certain tasks, making it easier to plan each day’s work load.

Pomodoro is very easy to use, the essential aim of the technique is to reduce the impact of internal and external interruptions upon your focus.

You can adjust the timings slightly if needed, make the timed session 30-35 minutes and your break a strict 5 minutes if that is what works best. It is an easy and adaptable method that is designed to work for you!

All you need to remember is:

·      25 minutes timed working session, 5-10 minute break X4

·      30 minute break

Don’t just take it from me, other users state:

@JustinAtherley – For those with short attention spans like myself @PomodoroTech works wonders for productivity

@jeanfer – Low productivity and high confusion? Use the Pomodoro Technique

@its_photography – “tic-toc tic-toc” pomodoro technique is killing it today! doubled productivity = doubled creativity @pomodorotech #deadlines #motivation

Still not convinced? Visit the Pomodoro Technique website for a 2 minute breakdown video: 

http://pomodorotechnique.com/

Photo credits:blog.clearadmit.com