Catwalk to Campus: Making the Glamour Affordable and Achievable!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Catwalk. A magical, wonderful world where it’s completely acceptable to wear sunglasses inside, and the contoured cheekbones are so sharp that it’s advisable to stand at least three feet back for your own safety.

Whilst Fashion Week 2017 boasted the hottest new trends for this year, it’s safe to say that most of the outfits would look a little strange if we wore them to our morning seminars. But fear not! Our Fashion and Beauty team have picked out our top 4 favourite and fabulous (if not slightly bizarre) looks from the New York ready to wear 2017 collection, and have found some high-street inspiration to help bring a little Fashion Week to the Forum!

1. Dressing Gowns

We all love our dressing gowns! Our faithful, fluffy companion who has stood by us through break ups and cold winters; our best friend on days when we’re hungover and feeling oh so very sorry for ourselves. Fine as a lounge outfit, but should the dressing gown be worn outside the comfort of our home? Perhaps not.

So why have designers like Lacoste and Band of Outsiders decided that the world is ready for outdoor pyjamas? These are questions we may never know the answers to, but in light of our never ending quest to bring style to the seminar room here are a few dressing gown inspired pieces we found on the high street, which won’t make you look like you haven’t gotten dressed yet.                                                                                                                                                           Miss Selfidge

Asos

2. Yellow, yellow, and YELLOW.

What colour represents happiness and energy more than the colour yellow? The main motif of designer Damir Doma in his 2017 spring collection. But bright colours like yellow can be scary, especially for those of us who want to blend in so we don’t get picked on to answer a question on that reading we didn’t do. For those of you out there who have the confidence to wear an outfit of bright, we applaud you! For the rest of us out there, there’s a simple was to sneak a hint of this seasons favourite colour into our wardrobe – accessories!

From scarves to handbags and bobble hats, yellow has swept the high streets accessory selection this January, and we’ve found a couple of choices to inspire you in the bright direction.

New Look

Zara

3. Pin Stripes

Does this trend even need an introduction? Every year pin stripes come into fashion, and every year we love them! They remind us of days at the beach, and hint at the oh so glamourous 1950’s pin up style.  Not only are these stripes flattering to all body shapes, they can help add some bright colours into your wardrobe without being horribly over bearing. Here are some pieces we’ve found to spruce up your standard block colours and add some pin up glamour, without pushing the boat out too far!

Miss Guided

Asos

4. Did someone say Flashdance?

Let’s face it, the 80s were cool! The decade that gave us films like Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club, where shoulder pads were big, and hair was even bigger. Obviously, leotards and legwarmers are a thing of the past, but you can add a little 80’s vibe into just about any outfit.

If you’re having a jeans day, pair it with a coloured bomber or biker jacket. Keep a scrunchie on your wrist for those throwing-your-hair-up ‘it’s time to get serious’ moments in the library. And there’s great news for all of you Exeter stash lovers out there (whether you’re actually in the society or just wanted the cute clothes), sportswear as outwear is totally 80s!

To saving you the train fare to go home and rummage through your mum’s old outfits, we’ve picked out some cute 80’s inspired pieces to bring out anybody’s inner Madonna. 

Top Shop

Miss Selfridge

So there we have it, this seasons catwalk has bought us pyjamas, a vintage touch, and a hella lot of brightness!