Campus Cutie: Yudhis Lumadyo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Alas, Fresher’s Week has come and gone, lectures have begun and it already feels like deadlines are looming.

Here at Her Campus we couldn’t think of a better way to kick off the new term than to get in touch with one of Exeter’s most interesting and vastly growing societies – the Indonesian Society. I was lucky enough to meet with their President, Yudhis and ask him all about it.

So how is it being back in Exeter?

It’s quite like living in 2 different worlds really, most of what I have in Indonesia is not found in the UK and vice versa. It’s always good to be back in Exeter but just like any other Indonesian I also miss the warm weather, spicy food and the lifestyle. Still, on the other hand back in Indonesia I missed the freedom of being a uni student.

How is Committee life?

The funny thing is I am actually a fresher. I took a foundation course last year and just started my degree course this year. So, Fresher’s Week was very hectic for me as I had to handle the society and attend induction programs. Yet, it was a great experience and I am proud of how Activities Fair ended up; its busy but rewarding.

What does it mean to be part of IndoSoc?

As a member, it would mean whatever you would like it to be really. As President, my goal is to provide Indonesian culture and lifestyle to anyone who is interested. But like any other society we welcome anyone who wants to meet new people, try something new or just want to have a good time.

Having chatted with Yudhis, I wanted to get a better insight into whether he has noticed a shift in the interest and prevalence of the Indonesian Society on campus at Exeter, alongside Indonesia’s growing global presence.

As you know Indonesia is a growing global player, would you say this is reflected in the interest and membership of your society this year compared to previous years?

Absolutely! Every year more and more Indonesians come to Exeter and due to that we clearly have a growing society. By 2030, Indonesia is expected to be in the top 5 of the most powerful economies. I hope this means that more and more people will be interested in Indonesia. When I was handing out flyers during Fresher’s Week I was amazed at how often people talked to me about their travels to Indonesia or that they have a relative or friend there. Students here are definitely showing a growing interest in our society.

How can people get involved with the Indonesian Society?

You can sign up online at the Student’s Guild or check our Facebook Group (Indonesian Society – University of Exeter). You can also hit me up personally and I would gladly answer any questions you have about the Society.

The Indonesian Society sounds like a really relaxed, chilled group of people who are bringing a great diversity of culture to Exeter. Yudhis reassured me this is not a society exclusive to those who have a distinctive connection to Indonesia, it is for anyone who has an interest in it and wants to discover more about the lifestyle and its people. Their Facebook page and Yudhis’ email is linked below, make sure to check them out, with membership only £12 (including stash), why wouldn’t you?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/exeterindosoc/

yal201@exeter.ac.uk

I'm Claudia, a third year Politics student at the University of Exeter, who loves all things Her Campus!