Campus Celebrity: Molly Flitcroft

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.
Following Emma Watson’s Speech at the UN we at Her Campus Exeter are finding ourselves very behind the feminist cause! Molly Flitcroft is the newly named FemSoc’s President so we were thrilled to catch up with her to find out more about herself and the Society.

Name: Molly Flitcroft

Year: 2

Course: Theology

Why did want to be president of femsoc?

Feminism is something I’m incredibly passionate about. I first went to the society as a 1st year (when it was Gender Equality Society) and immediately knew I wanted to get involved in organising campaigns, holding meetings and promoting feminism on campus.

What do you hope to achieve with the society this year?

A number of things. We aim to have more successful campaigns including another event for International Women’s Day next year, and some exciting campaigns this term like the anti-sexual harassment campaign, which we’re doing as a collaboration with the Guild. By doing campaigns we not only make a difference but we also hope to let people know that feminism is not a ‘dirty word’, and it is simply the movement for gender equality. As well as campaigning we hope to make the society a place for feminists and pro-feminists to discuss issues with like-minded company and strengthen the movement through knowing we have each other.

How are you finding the position so far?

The response this year has been overwhelming! We’ve more than doubled our membership and had record numbers at our meetings, so although exciting, it’s a little daunting too! Being the President is a huge responsibility especially considering the increase in participation, but it’s fantastic to be devoting so much of my time to something I’m passionate about.

Last year FemSoc was called “Gender Equality Society”, why did you decide to change it?

The reason was twofold. Firstly it was important to all the members that we didn’t shy away from the word ‘feminist’ because that would be like denying the truth of its meaning; a movement for gender equality. All of the members identified as feminist and we wanted to align ourselves with the wider, international movement. Second to that, the society hoped to change people’s negative perceptions of feminism by being an active, positive force on campus whilst being identified as feminist.  

Could you tell us about your recent interview with BBC Devon?

I had a radio and then a TV interview for the BBC as they are covering a story on the Police #noblurredlines campaign aimed at preventing rape and other sexual assault crimes by warning men that alcohol affects their ability to gauge boundaries. This is a really important campaign as it rightly focusses on what men can do to prevent rape (effectively the only way rape can be prevented). I was talking about the prevalence of sexual harassment on campuses and amongst young people in general and why that might be the case. Having experienced sexual harassment personally, they wanted me to give insight into this disturbingly common crime.

With talk of Emma Watsons UN speech on feminism, it’s a hot topic- did you agree with the things she said, is it important for men to get involved with feminism?

Yes I do. I think it’s incredibly important to have support for feminism from celebrity women, which young people look up to. More importantly though, she spoke directly and pointedly about the issue of misconceptions about feminism – something (although joked about in feminist and non-feminist circles with the usual quips on ‘man hating’ and ‘bra burning’) that actually reveals a dark resistance to the women’s movement. Emma Watson standing up to this is both brave and essential. It is vital that men become allies in feminism as it will help us to overcome the oppressions of patriarchy if they are for us, not against us.

Thanks so much for talking to us and congratulations on being this terms first Campus Celebrity! Good luck with FemSoc for the coming year!