Campus Celebrity: Millie Guille

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

HCX caught up with Millie Guille, a second year English Literature student, about her escapades as a budding (and published!) poet. Millie was recently shortlisted for the 2014 Remarque poetry prize, a national arts competition for 16-25 year olds. As a finalist, her work will be compiled into an Ebook, which will be published by North Highland Publishing. All net proceeds will be donated to the War Child charity organisation.

Tell us about the award ceremony in London – what was it like to be amongst such prestige?!

It was a great evening. The highlight was getting to watch the famous performance poet, Anthony Anaxagorou read his work. He was amazing.

How long have you been writing poetry for?

I did a lot of writing when I was younger, but it was mostly terrible! It is only recently that I have taken it up again, and I have been writing poetry seriously for the last two years.

Have you been published elsewhere before the Remarque Prize?

I placed third in the 2012 Christopher Tower poetry competition, and have had my poetry published in the subsequent Tower anthology ‘Earth Quiet’. I found out last month that one of my poems has been selected to appear in ‘The Colour of Saying’ anthology, which is in celebration of Dylan Thomas’ centenary. It will be published in December.

Who are you main inspirations?

My main inspirations? There are so many! I am enthralled by the sensuality of Michael Ondaatje’s poetry, and I love Frank O’Hara’s work. My current poetic infatuation is with the Spanish poet Federico Garcia Lorca. He writes so beautifully, and with such intensity. I definitely recommend his poetry!

Any future plans?

I want to be a professional writer, and I’m currently gathering together material for my own poetry collection. I’d love to do a Masters and a PhD in English, and my all-time dream is to write and publish a novel.