Campus Celebrity: Lucy Songi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

We at Her Campus Exeter love to try something new, so when we were asked by Lucy Songi to come and review Exeter University Jazz Orchestra, we were absolutely thrilled! We also took the opportunity to interview the lead singer herself for our new Campus Celebrity!

Name: Lucy Songi

Year: 2

Course: Law

How long have you been singing?

Ummm I’ve been singing professionally since I was about 15. I didn’t really do Jazz at school though, it’s all quite new still!

How did you get into EUJO?

I have always been interested in Jazz so when I went to the Fresher’s Fair in first year and saw the stall I was so excited and thought ‘this is for me!’ I had to audition again this year but luckily got back in!!

Is EUJO a close group?

Oh yeah, there’s probably about 25 of us in the band and yeah we are all so close.

What do you do when you’re not singing with EUJO?

I teach Stage Coach here and am involved in the Footlights! I’ve also started doing Gigs in London which is amazing. I have the London Jazz Festval on the 20th November! 

Are you hoping to pursue music in your future career?

Ooo I don’t know! Whatever falls into place! I have quite a lot going on with Law as well so we’ll see!!

A multi- talented girl! We so enjoyed watching Lucy and the rest of EUJO at the Old Firehouse! Look out for their future gigs around Exeter!