Campus Celebrity: Ali Gillum

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

HCX were thrilled to be able to catch up with Ali Gillum, an alumni of Exeter University who has gone on to set up the fantastically successful Macaw designs.

Name: Ali Gillum

Year: Alumni

Course: Geography with Theology

HCX: How did you start Macaw Designs?

I started Macaw Designs by making a laptop case for myself, and then making for friends and family. I then started selling in the forum and making for people who put orders in. It was at this stage that I started the process of building a website and locating a factory, and I launched in October 2013 with a Her Campus launch party.

HCX: We are so glad that we could be a part of that journey! Tell us, what do you miss about University life?

I miss friends all living so close together and free to hang out with.

HCX: In terms of your designs, where do you find inspiration?

I take a lot of inspiration when I’m out and about. I love looking at what people are wearing. Being in London, it is such a centre for fashion, it’s amazing to be at the forefront of where so many trends are being experimented and showcased. I love reading magazines and being inspired by designers, and adverts. 

HCX: We’ve heard that you give 10% of profits to local arts charity ‘The Magic Carpet’ and have even set up ‘The Macaw Foundation’, running arts and crafts workshops for young people! It’s so lovely to see a local company give back. Tell us a little about that..

Ever since I discovered TOMS years ago, I’ve fallen in love with social enterprise, and think it is the most sustainable model. How great to be generating an income, and for that to then be fed back into a social cause.

Check out the fantastic designs at:

http://www.macawdesigns.com