Best Tinder Conversation Starters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you will have heard of Tinder, the dating app that’s taken Exeter by a storm. While the odd romance may have blossomed from it, the majority of us see it as a bit of fun, rating or slating all the boys within a 5 mile radius. But it’s not until those magic words ‘It’s a match’ appear across the screen when the real excitement begins.

But how, and should, you start a conversation on Tinder? There are lots of girls who refuse to initiate contact (no pressure boys), but that doesn’t have to be the case. After all, you’ve been matched already so the attraction’s already there… Although remember to be responsible when chatting to strangers as there’s always the chance of being catfished. Some girls who have been ‘t’raped’ – even if you know the guy, for all you know it’s not him you’re talking to so watch out!

However, for a bit of light-hearted fun (and potential romance) why not have a few convos with your matches to cheer you up out of the mid-term blues. The standard ‘Hey! How’s it going?’ can be a bit boring, so here are some ideas that’ll make him laugh! Cheesy as they may be, it’s a great way to break the ice.

Thanks for a match; you look like a great catch’ can be a good way to secure a response. Flattery might get you somewhere too, but be careful what you say as ‘Been looking through your pics and you are really beautiful’ could come across a bit keen/stalkerish. Why not come out with something totally new and original instead that’s guaranteed to grab his attention, like ‘What’s your favourite kind of dinosaur?

Just watch out for the slightly dodgy lines you might receive and remember that block button is there for a reason. ‘TP tonight? I’m in the green jumper’ or ‘4 miles away, so close ;)’ will come across much too forward and rather creepy so avoid at all costs!

Good luck girls and get tindering, who knows where it might lead!

Picture credits: techcrunch.com, blogspot.com