This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As we edge towards the end of January, awards season is well under way. With a new ceremony practically every week, it can be hard keeping up. That’s where we at Her Campus Exeter come in… Here’s a round-up of some of the most coveted awards!

The Oscars

What: The Oscars honour achievements in film and are generally considered the most important awards in Hollywood.

When: Sunday 2nd March

Ones to watch: American Hustle and Gravity lead with 10 nominations each, but 12 Years a Slave is close behind with 9.  

Did you know… 

• Shocking we know, but Leonardo DiCaprio has never won an Oscar – (here’s a page guaranteed to improve your day) 
  • Walt Disney has won the most Oscars (26)
  • Titanic is the most nominated film
  • Jennifer Lawrence at 23 is the youngest person to be nominated 3 times
  • Halle Berry won best actress in 2002 which made her the first African-American to win the category 

BAFTAS British Academy of Film And Television Arts 

What: The BAFTA’s honour any film that screened in British cinemas this year, regardless of its origin. 

When: Sunday 16th February

Ones to watch: Gravity has 11 nominations, while 12 Years a Slave and American Hustle have 10 nominations each.

Did you know…

• Woody Allen has the most BAFTA’s (8), followed by Judi Dench who has 6 Bafta awards
  • Titanic has had the most nominations, but failed to win anything [pagebreak]

The Grammy Awards

What: The Grammys celebrate achievement in the recording arts

When: Sunday 26th January

Ones to watch: Jay-Z leads the pack with 9 nominations, followed by Justin Timberlake with 7, tied with Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis and Pharell Williams   

Did you know…

• Michael Jackson holds the record for the most nominations in one year with 12. He also holds the record for most wins in a year, eight.
  • Adele won 6 gongs in 2012
  • Believe it or not, comic Robin Williams has won 5 of the music awards
  • Snoop Dogg has been nominated 14 times but is yet to win 

The Brit Awards

What: The British equivalent of the Grammys

When: Wednesday 19th February

Ones to watch: Bastille and Disclosure are up for 4, with Ellie Goulding closely behind at 3 nominations

Did you know…

• Sam Smith is the winner of the prestigious Critics Choice award this year
  • Robbie Williams has won the most Brits, 12 as a solo artist and 5 as part of Take That
  • Geri Halliwell wore her iconic Union Jack dress at the Brits in 1997. It now holds the Guinness World Record for the most expensive piece of pop star clothing ever sold. 

Photo Credits: mostlyfilm.files.wordpress.com, pixartimes.com, tucsoncitizen.com, static.gigwise.com, www.theguardian.com

19 years old, and studying economics at the University of Exeter