This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I think it’s fair to say, Exeter has a type. Since it’s Mental Health awareness week, we thought it was important to highlight everyone is welcome at Exeter, everyone has a place and everyone is valued. Whether you own a signet ring, a pair of flares, or lacrosse stash, or perhaps none of the above, you have a place at Exeter!

I like many, rocked up to Exeter, young and naïve, only to be confronted with the whole of Surrey. Now, Surrey is a great place and many of my friends are of a Surrey-origin, yet it can be slightly disconcerting when trying to find your place at University, when such distinct groups appear to dominate, which you don’t feel you fit into. This week forum hill has been invaded by SABB campaigners, one of the roles up for election is VP Welfare and Diversity, a role key to the topic of this discussion. Hence, we thought we’d give you a run-down of the candidates, to help you with your vote and to try and deceiver who is up to the job of reforming Exeter’s student body into a truly diverse assortment of young minds!

First up – Kerry, or as she describes herself; Mann with a Plan!

This gal’s manifesto is right on! Kerry wants to set up an International Diversity Fair, not only allowing our international students to show off their cultures, but to allow home to students to learn and embrace them too. This would encourage the integration of national and internationals, while providing an enriching, cultural experience! Furthermore, she has planned campaigns regarding Anti-racism, Self-Harm and an increased visibility and accessibility to Wellbeing, a service rarely noticeable for those of us not living in Birks! Kerry also highlights the importance of different avenues of diversity, she wants to instigate support groups for lower income students, alongside BME and internationals. Not only does this support enable greater access to Exeter, but allows students to be trained in peer support. Mann with a Plan ticks all the boxes for us!

Next, we have Rebecca Bartle, promising to ‘Raise the Bar’

Rebecca’s approach comes from a slightly different angle from Mann’s, she focuses on accessibility for disabled students and is promising a clear commitment to ensuring the welfare of students, for example pledging to introduce a ‘Welfare and Diversi-TENT’, allowing students to discuss welfare needs in a safe space. Furthermore, Rebecca wants to refurbish the, currently inadequate, prayer room and diversify food options, increasing the cultural experience and options available for those with dietary requirements. Bartle gets a huge tick from us in declaring her fight on Saturday exams, this gal has our back! In summary, we feel Rebecca does not tackle the diversity topic as well as Mann, though evidently is committed to ensuring wellbeing to current students, so it all depends on your priorities!

Lastly, we have ‘Ready, Set, Ro’ or as her friends know her, Rose Ahier

Rose places huge emphasis on listening to students and being approachable, she has clearly done her research and pledges a myriad of policies to help improve the Exeter experience. Isolation is an issue Rose focuses on heavily, she plans to set up Study-abroad buddies, a support group for students who have interrupted their study and a tutoring system between post and undergraduates. Rose is similar to Kerry here in wanting to increase the visibility of the Wellbeing services, by introducing leaflets into Fresher’s packs and promote signposting to a variety of support services during introductory lectures. While Rose does pledge a #WeAreAllExeter campaign, in conjunction with local charities and societies to open the discussion around diversity, there doesn’t seem to be any distinct action plan in promoting a more diverse student body, it is similar to Rebecca in that the focus is on ensuring wellbeing for current students, not emphasizing a more diverse Exeter for the future.

All 3 candidates shine in their own domains, all would contribute positively to Exeter, the main thing is to make sure you vote, have your say and remember, whoever you are, you are Exeter!

I'm Claudia, a third year Politics student at the University of Exeter, who loves all things Her Campus!