And the Award Goes To… The Best Dressed at the 2017 Oscar Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The 2017 Oscars saw chaos and excitement on stage, but the real showstoppers were found on the red carpet. Here at Her Campus we have rounded up the five best outfits to grace this year’s awards. From bold looks to pastel numbers, these gowns definitely win the award for Best Dressed.

1. Emma Stone

Givenchy gowned and dazzling in gold, Emma Stone made heads go la-la with her modern muse winning look. The ornate design on the bodice blends seamlessly into the tasselled tiered tail of the dress, mixing 1920s old school glamour with a modern streamlined edge. Swept to the side, her soft waved hair allows her classic red lip to take centre stage. On her left shoulder strap Emma displays a Planned Parenthood pin – a subtle political statement in support of the women’s organisation.

2. Viola Davis

Viola’s custom Armani gown is bold and beautiful. The open shoulders prevent the dress from swallowing her whole, giving her a sleek look. The train fans out across the red carpet, allowing her to make a statement as she collected her Best Supporting Actress gong.

3. Brie Larson

Brie Larson stuns in an Oscar de la Renta dress. The strappy shoes make a statement against the curved train of the gown, creating a modern clean cut look. She also sports a classic red lip, which pops against the black material. The sharp plunging neckline is stylish and makes her one of the best dressed at this year’s awards.

4. Haille Steinfield

Hitting the red carpet in an ethereal, dreamy Ralph and Russo design, Haille Steinfield dazzles in a floral gown. The pastel lavender and pink hues stand out against the popular bold looks of everyone else. Her smoky eye makeup and updo combined with the halter neck design, gives the look an edgier feel, preventing it from becoming too girly.

5. Scarlett Johansson 

Scarlett Johansson wowed in a sheer, pretty Alaia dress. Contrary to popular opinion we think the pink print is flirty and fresh, with the cinched belt giving the look an edgier feel. The floaty material softens the whole look, allowing her to grace the red carpet in style.