This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Late last year, I found myself suffering from Post-Viral Fatigue. I couldn’t stay awake all day, I definitely couldn’t do any work, and I barely left the house. My GP said there was little she could do; I had to rest and let myself heal. However, she did add that I could try an alternative treatment to supplement my rest – acupuncture. Within a few sessions, this ancient technique allowed me to get back on my feet again, without any help from medication, and I quickly returned to school and was able to complete my A-Levels.

I went into my first session with little belief that some old guy sticking pins in my back was going to help me get out of bed in the morning. Yet, somehow, despite my scepticism, it did.

Greater education about the benefits of acupuncture, especially among younger generations reliant on modern drugs and technologies, could open a whole new world of effective treatment for all sorts of physical and mental health issues. Whilst the word ‘acupuncture’ may bring to mind hippy-dippy chants and prayers to pagan gods, as well as perhaps worries of pain, it is a practice that has effectively endured the test of time and is still popular in the 21st century.

First, the basics. Acupuncture is an alternative medical technique which developed in ancient China, which consists of an experienced and trained practitioner inserting thin metal needles into specific points on the patient’s body. This could include the back, the wrists or even the face. Evidence of the historical practice dates back to around 100 BC, as records have been found in historical medical compendiums, and fine silver needles have been discovered at burial sites.

Many people trying acupuncture for the first time are mostly worried about whether or not it is going to hurt. The idea of someone sticking great long needles in sensitive areas like your hands or face is likely to turn your stomach a little. Now the big reveal: it doesn’t hurt. The needles are not inserted far into the body, and are very thin, and so usually don’t even draw blood. On some points, the needle insertion may feel like a light scratch, but in my experience, it was never as painful as an injection or a blood test. You may also feel pressure spreading from the point of the needle.

Acupuncture has been used throughout the ages to treat an absolute plethora of medical complaints. Personally, I found that acupuncture sessions improved my mood and helped with social anxiety, as well as treating cold hands and feet by improving my circulation. Traditionally, acupuncture is associated with chronic pain or arthritic conditions and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence deems it an effective way to treat tension headaches or migraines.

Treatment can sometimes be available on the NHS through physiotherapists, but not often. However, in many areas, community-run alternative health clinics will offer the treatment, sometimes even asking you to pay only what you can afford, but suggesting between £15 – 40 for an hour’s session.

Unfortunately, we do have to consider how effective acupuncture is really considered to be in the 21st century. Discouragingly, most scientific circles have concluded that there is little-to-no scientific evidence that acupuncture really works, and so there is a fairly convincing argument that acupuncture merely has a particularly effective placebo effect. On the other hand, I would argue that my scepticism that the practice would actually help at all to begin with seems to allow us to take this opinion with a pinch of salt. But, after all, if it works, it works – even if this is only a placebo effect.

So how, with all this doubt, has acupuncture remained popular millennia after its invention? Many do argue for the actual effectiveness of the technique. The NHS’ official website argues that acupuncture can cause pain relief, such as in cases of chronic back pain and migraines, and some reports do argue that there is more convincing evidence for acupuncture effectively treating arthritic pain or nausea. Anecdotally, I, and everyone I have ever met who has also experienced acupuncture, has only ever received positive effects from acupuncture treatments.

Even if it cannot hold strong against the current medical advancements, we can still give acupuncture the benefit of the doubt. We cannot ignore the positive effect it has had on millions of people’s lives throughout history. Therefore, we should not be ready to dismiss the power of acupuncture just yet.

Zoe is an English Literature student at the University of Exeter, U.K., and therefore necessarily spends a large proportion of her time with her nose in a book. When someone drags her away from this, she can be found painting messy masterpieces, spending way too much money online, or pole dancing.