7 New Year’s Resolutions for a Travel Addict

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

We all know that New Year’s Resolutions tend to be forgotten by February. So this year, ditch those half hearted fantasies of weight loss and “Dry January.” Instead, stuff your face with pizza, pour a glass of wine and make a resolution that you might actually remember by June. While travelling is always exciting, it’s easy to get stuck in a rut. Try one of these holiday resolutions to make sure you have an unforgettable experience!

1. Go somewhere without flying

Avoid the hours waiting in airport lounges and try a different form of transportation. Whether that’s interrailing through Europe or experiencing a luxury cruise, there are plenty of other ways to see the world.

2. Work abroad

One of the best ways to truly experience a new culture is not just visiting, but working in a country. Not only will this make your trip much more affordable, you’ll be sure to meet lots of locals. University is a particularly great time to do this with employment options ranging from global internships to Camp America. Plus it will look great on your CV!

3. Learn a new skill abroad

Always wanted to try surfing? Or maybe you’ve got a hidden passion for extreme sports? Going abroad is the perfect chance to try something new out. And lets be honest, learning to dive in the Great Barrier Reef is going to be a bit more exciting than off the English coast.

4. Don’t book ahead

If you’re feeling super daring, try a trip without any plans. That could mean hopping across a continent, or just booking a flight and no hotel. Who knows where you could end up!

5. Take only a backpack

Is there anything worse than the stress of losing your baggage? In 2017, ditch the hold luggage, and just take a carry-on. Not only will you avoid long airport baggage waits, you might find less of your holiday time is spent picking outfits, leaving more time for exploring!

6. No photos

Ditch Instagram, delete Snapchat and see how it changes your life. Explore a country and enjoy the views for yourself without taking any photos. Ok, so you won’t be able to show off the sunsets to your friends, but you’ll be able to enjoy it without stressing about which filter to use.

7. Travel alone

It may sound terrifying, but going out of your comfort zone could mean something amazing. You don’t have to organise your time around anyone and you’re free to do exactly what you want. If you’re nervous about going completely alone, tour companies such as STA group likeminded people together, so you’re sure to make some new friends!

There are plenty of other resolutions to inspire your travel plans this year, as well as endless amazing places across the globe – who knows where 2017 could take you

I am a fourth year student reading for a degree in English with History and Middle Eastern Studies. When I'm not busy writing essays, I love fleeing campus and exploring anywhere and everywhere. My favourite place in the world (other than Exeter, of course) is Iquitos in South America.