5 Ways to Spend Your Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you’re a Humanities student lucky enough to have a whole week of freedom from seminars and lectures, don’t let boredom get the best of you. Now is the perfect – and possibly the only – chance to finally do all those things you’ve been saying you will since the start of term. If you’re stuck for ideas, here are some of our favourite ways to spend the week:

1. Road Trip

It’s a University rite of passage to spend a boozy weekend with your old – and hopefully not forgotten – school friends. If they’re also studying, reading week is great chance to experience life at another campus. Grab some mates and some snacks, and head over to the location of your choice! Just try not to get to jealous when their Student Union is slightly less sticky than the Lemmy.

2. Explore Exeter

Ever been to the Underground Passages? Or the RAMM Museum? Or even the Physics building? Now is your chance! There’s plenty going on in Exeter and without a timetable hanging over your head you’ve got no excuse not to see it all.

3. Netflix

Ok, so this might not be the most exciting option. But lets be honest, after five whole weeks of studying, sometimes you just need to relax. And with seven days off, think how many series of Gossip Girl you can get through. The possibilities are endless!

4. Take up a new (and potentially useless) hobby

We all have things we think it would be cool to try but have never actually got round to.Whether you’ve always wanted to knit your own jumper or think you have some hidden circus skills that just need a bit of practice, now is the time to learn! It has to come in useful eventually, right?

5. Study

If after travelling across the country, discovering the outskirts of Exeter, watching 6 seasons of Gossip Girl and learning to knit you still have some time on your hands, why not take a look at ELE? Although reading week is definitely not meant to be spent actually reading, it can’t hurt to take a quick look at that dissertation. But no worries if you don’t get round to it – you’ve still got six more weeks dedicated to hard work!

I am a fourth year student reading for a degree in English with History and Middle Eastern Studies. When I'm not busy writing essays, I love fleeing campus and exploring anywhere and everywhere. My favourite place in the world (other than Exeter, of course) is Iquitos in South America.