5 Ways Dance Classes are Better Than the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Do you ever get bored running on the treadmill? Ever look at the dull faces around you at the gym and wonder if there is an alternative way to stay fit? Sometimes the gym just doesn’t cut it and we need a little extra something in our workout routines. Dance classes are fast becoming one of the most popular way to lose weight, tone up and stay fit, and here’s why…

http://www.lipsticknlunges.com/home/need-some-motivation-to-hit-the-gym-…

1.     They’re social! Ever tried to make friends with the person running next to you on the treadmill? Almost impossible right? Well at dance classes it’s almost guaranteed you’ll have the opportunity to make new friends. Apart from the fact that I’ve never seen anyone at a dance class in an antisocial mood, there’s often the chance for group work or water breaks which make it really easy to get chatting to the other dancers, and make some new friends with the same interest as you!

2. Great music! Granted the music might not exactly be to your taste if you’re taking part in a ballet class, but pretty much all dance classes will use some fantastic upbeat tunes during the warm up and during the class. The pumping bass is sure to get you in the mood to work out, who can’t resist a bit of cheese when they’re working up a sweat?

http://www.wbbs.org/index.php?file_id=classes

3. It doesn’t even feel like a work out! Almost certainly you’ll be sweating by the end of any good dance class, but you won’t feel like you’ve worked out at all. (But that doesn’t mean you won’t be feeling it the next day!) The class will fly by and by the end of it you’ll wonder where the time went! A lot of dance classes you’ll go to, you’ll be having so much fun you won’t even realise how much you’re working until it’s over!

4. It’ll work pretty much every muscle you have! Unlike many machines at the gym, which only target one or two specific muscles, dancing uses pretty much all of the muscles you have! It’s a great cardio work out whilst simultaneously toning up pretty much every part of your body, meaning you’re almost guaranteed to drop some pounds AND look more fabulous in a matter of weeks! Much better than having to use thirteen different machines to achieve the same effect right?

5. There’s something for everyone! All abilities are welcome to almost all types of dance classes! Want to try your hand (or feet) at Latin dancing? You can! Never thought you could be a ballerina? There are adult beginners’ ballet classes all over the country. Don’t fancy street dancing? Why not try ballroom? There are literally hundreds of different types and levels of dance that you can try, it’s almost impossible not to find something to suit you!

http://believerontheroof.blogspot.co.uk

Scientific studies have shown that dancing is not only great for physical health, such as lowering risk of cardiovascular disease and cholesterol, but not only that; it’s also has loads of psychological benefits such as reduced stress, and promoting mental well-being! If you’re looking for a new way to switch up your fitness routine, why not try a dance class and see what it can offer you?