5 Things To Do On A California Road Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

For anyone planning on renting a car and travelling through California, there’s an endless list of things to see and do. The diversification of this state means that whether you’re enjoying the beautiful coastal scenery of Carmel and Monterey, the glitz and glamour of L.A. and all its celebrity inhabitants, or the hustle and bustle of San Francisco, your trip will give you a real picture of life in America. To help narrow down this everlasting list, Her Campus have selected the top 5 to do when visiting California!

Drive through Yosemite National Park

The winding roads through this World Heritage Site give endless views of waterfalls, cliffs, giant sequoia trees and even the occasional bear. Yosemite Valley is a particularly popular area for tourists due to the stunning views it offers. A perfect spot for your holiday pictures or a sunset picnic, this is somewhere not to be missed.

Take a Ferry across San Francisco Bay

Park up the car and take the ferry from the animated Fisherman’s Wharf to the picturesque city of Sausalito. This will allow you to see two very different cities within the space of a few hours and the views are amazing! You can take in San Francisco from a distance, travel straight past the famed Alcatraz prison and enjoy arguably the best view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Do a Studio Tour at Universal Studios in L.A.

L.A. is known for its plethora of celebrity inhabitants, abundant film sets and television studios. So for anybody wishing to fully experience this, Universal Studios Los Angeles is the place to be. Buses depart from the theme park to Universal Studios for a guided tour. Guests can see the film sets of a huge number of well-known television programmes and films, and are given inside knowledge of how special effects are utilized. You can even experience a few roller coasters along the way!

Visit Bodie Ghost Town

In the hills of Mono County lies the ghost town of Bodie. In 1859, Bodie was established as Americans flocked to the region in search of gold. However, when the gold supply ran dry and the last mine closed in 1942, the town’s population began to leave. What is left in this desert is an eerie ghost town where houses remain open despite their inhabitant’s departure and possessions are strewn throughout building in the exact places their owners left them. To see a piece of history frozen in place, this deserted ghost town is highly recommended.

Drive to Santa Monica Pier

With a large variety of recreational facilities and eating outlets, you can easily spend a full day exploring Santa Monica Pier. Activities here include Pacific Park with its Ferris wheel and amusement rides, the trapeze school and the pier aquarium. The wide sandy beach either side of the pier also provides an ideal location to sunbathe and swim in the Pacific Ocean.

Whether you’re going for two weeks or two months, there’s plenty to keep you occupied in California. These are the five activities that Her Campus would recommend, but whatever you do, you’re bound to have an incredible time!

Photo Credits

www.tripadvisor.co.uk

www.wikimedia.org

Hi, I'm Emily! I study history at Exeter university and have just started writing travel articles for her campus. :)