rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Celebrities’ Experience with Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s difficult today, especially with the ever-presence of social media, not to compare our lives to celebrities’ and feel like we always come up short. Seeing our favourite actresses/singers/models/Instagram ‘influencers’ at festivals, film premieres or even just chilling in their luxurious LA mansions, it can be really hard to remember that they are just people, like us. With the stigma around mental health being slowly broken down, some of our favourite celebs have used their platforms to spread awareness of mental health issues, giving us all that valid reminder that mental health issues can affect anyone, and it’s always important to ask for help if you’re struggling.

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga has been open about her struggles with PTSD and ways she tries to cope with it, saying to NBC’s ‘Today’ programme ‘the kindness that’s been shown to me, by doctors as well as my family and friends, it’s really saved my life…One way to help people that have trauma is to inject them with as many positive thoughts as possible. It’s priceless’. She reminds us no act of kindness is ever wasted, and of the value of surrounding yourself with loving people.

Gwyneth Paltrow 

Gwyneth Paltrow spoke about the post-natal depression she experienced, saying ‘I expected to have another period of euphoria following [her son’s] birth…Instead I was confronted with one of the darkest and most painfully debilitating chapters of my life’. There’s an important reminder here that sometimes we may feel like we should be much happier than we are – in Freshers Week/graduation season etc – and that doesn’t mean you’re a failure. What’s important is that you try and reach out to those around you and are honest about how you’re feeling.

John Green

The best-selling author is inspiringly matter-of-fact about mental health: ‘Like millions of others, I take medication to help treat my mental illness. Treating chronic medical conditions must not be stigmatized’. If you were physically ill, you’d ask a doctor for treatment; there is no shame in doing the same if you’re mentally struggling.

Demi Lovato

With one of the strongest singing voices ever (her riffs are insane), Demi Lovato is also strong in her openness about her mental health, often Tweeting about her support for those who are mentally ill and her own issues with depression and eating disorders. Her skincare line, Devonne, sends some of its profits towards helping fund wellness and treatment programmes for young women, and she also works with CAST Recovery, an American group providing mental health services. Demi says ‘Mental illness has no prejudice. It affects people of every race, age, gender, religion and economic status.’

Kerry Washington

Kerry Washington stresses the importance of truly valuing and looking after yourself, and taking your mental health as seriously as your physical health: ‘My brain and my heart are really important to me. I don’t know why I wouldn’t seek help to have those things be as healthy as my teeth. I go to the dentist. So why wouldn’t I go to a shrink?’ It may be much easier said than done to go and seek help if you’re having mental health issues. However, there are lots of resources at the uni and also nationally which could be a step in the right direction if you need someone to talk to. Remember that issues like depression and anxiety can affect anyone – even celebrities or other people you think have it all together – so try your best to remember to reach out to get you or someone you know on the right path to coping. As everyone’s favourite wizarding headteacher said: ‘Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light’ – happiness can be found, if you remember that you deserve support and help.

RESOURCES: Exeter University Wellbeing: 01392 724381/wellbeing@exeter.ac.uk

Exeter Uni Nightline: 01392 724000

The Samaritans: www.samaritans.org/116 123

Mind: www.mind.org.uk/0300 123 3393/text 86463

Third year English Literature student at the University of Exeter with a passion for books, theatre, mountains and frozen yoghurt.