3 ways to make the most of leftover Halloween Pumpkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Pumpkins. If there was ever a fruit to be described as intimidating, this is the one. They’re not really available for most of the year and then suddenly Halloween comes around and they pop up here there and everywhere… this time of year they’re cheap as you like and to be found in abundance, yet very few people know what to do with them. They end up pulling out the guts and slicing up the flesh before leaving them outside to rot. It’s a sad tale.

This year can be different though… Her Campus researched into how to get more out of your pumpkin and the following recipes will provide you with some rather tasty Salted Caramel Pumpkin Seeds, Meringue Pies and Soup.

Salted Caramel Pumpkin Seeds

you will need:

The seeds from one pumpkin

3tbsp light brown sugar

50g/2oz butter

Sprinkle of Sea Salt (The Cornish Sea Salt Co. is my personal favourite)

1)  Scoop out the seeds from your pumpkin. You’ll need to separate the gunk from the seeds and so simply fill a large bowl with water and pop it all in. The goop should sink to the bottom and leave the seeds on top. Use your fingers to separate them and place the seeds to one side.

2)  Get a pan really nice and hot before adding your seeds. Toast them, stirring now and then until they start to turn a golden brown. Take one out and try it, if it’s crunchy instead of soft, they’re done.

3)  Add your butter.

4)  Add your sugar and keep stirring until it turns to a golden caramel. Sprinkle your rock salt on, and you’re done!

The simplicity of this recipe is almost a bit cheeky, but oh boy is it delicious…

[pagebreak]

Pumpkin Meringue Pies

OK, I won’t lie… you need quite a few additional ingredients for this one, but with the exception of the cinnamon quill (!?), they’re generally ingredients you’ll have in your store cupboard or able to pick up pretty darn cheaply and easily.

You will need:

For the filling:

450 g pumpkin flesh, cut into 2cm cubes

2 eggs plus 1 yolk

70g muscavado sugar

1 cinnamon quill

3 whole cloves

275ml double cream

For the pastry:

250g plain flour

125g butter

35ml cold water

1 egg

5g sea salt

For the meringue:

4 egg whites

225g caster sugar

1) Pre-heat the oven to 180C and place the pumpkin flesh onto a tray, cover with baking foil and bake until soft (approximately 20 minutes) and mash

2) In the meantime, make your pastry by placing flour and salt in a bowl and rubbing in the butter before pouring in the water and egg and bringing together but being careful not to overwork.

3) When combined, wrap in greaseproof paper and rest in fridge for at least 30 minutes

4) Roll out the pastry and carefully line small tartlet cases before covering with greaseproof paper and chill until hard

5) Preheat oven to 190C and blind bake (line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans) for 15 minutes, or until the sides are set and the pastry feels sandy to the touch. Now remove baking beans and paper and return to the oven for 5 minutes to set the bottom

To make the filling:

1) Pour the double cream into a pan with the sugar and spices

2) Heat slowly until the sugar has dissolved and bring to boil and turn the heat off immediately, remove the spices

3) Whisk the eggs and yolk in a bowl and pour the cream mixture over, whisk until combined

4) Add the pumpkin and whisk further

5) Pour into the cooled pastry cases and bake on 150C for 20 minutes or until the filling is set

For the meringue:

1) Preheat oven to 110C

2) Whisk the egg whites until stiff and dry before adding a tablespoon of sugar for each egg white and whisk after each addition until stiff

3) Add half the remaining sugar and whisk in, localised whisking, will turn shiny and glossy

4) Add the rest of the sugar and some food colouring and gently fold in

5) Pipe mixture onto the tartlets and bake for 35 minutes until the meringues are set

[pagebreak]

Pumpkin Soup

If you’re on a pre-party season health kick, this one is for you. Not only is soup low in calories, it’s also highly nutritious and filling (also, this recipe uses up the entirety of your pesky leftover pumpkin)

For virtually a cauldron of soup you’ll need:

1 large pumpkin (8lb / 13oz) or 2 medium ones,

125g butter

2 onions, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, crushed

1.7 litres/3 pints chicken stock (veg stock for vegetarians)

1tbsp of ground cinnamon

1tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp smoked paprika freshly grated nutmeg salt & pepper

Sesame Seeds/Pomegranate Seeds

1)  Firstly, you’re going to want to get as much flesh as possible from your pumpkin. Use a knife and a big spoon to scoop away, trying not to puncture the sides. Put all of your gunk into a big bowl.

2)  Heat a really large saucepan and add a big ol’ splosh of olive oil. Once the oil’s hot, add your onions and garlic. Fry until soft and starting to gold up. Add your pumpkin, spices & salt & pepper.

3)  Cover and fry for about 30mins, stirring now and then to keep the bottom from burning and nobody enjoys a burnt bottom. When it’s all softened and smelling delicious you can add your stock. Bring to the boil and take it off the heat.

4)  Pour into a blender and smooth before popping it all back into the pan. Add your sherry and cook on a medium heat for another half hour, without the lid on.

5)  Serve from a cauldron at the table, with a swirl of cold cream, or decorate with a mix of sesame and pomegranate seeds as seen in the above picture!