This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Here’s a local’s guide to Madrid should you find yourself in Spain’s wondrous capital for 24 hours:

Breakfast at the Chocolatería San Ginés

What better way to start your day than at one of the oldest Chocolatería’s in the country? This charming café has been serving world-famous churros and chocolate since 1894 and boy do they taste good! This gem of a place is located under an ochre yellow archway close to Puerta de Sol, and with churros and chocolate for €3.50, all that is left to say is “¡Sí, por favor!”

Plaza Mayor

Just a two-minute stroll from San Ginés is the iconic Plaza Mayor (Madrid’s main square). The Plaza Mayor is a hub of aroma and noise thanks to the tourists and locals alike who occupy the rows upon rows of tables and chairs of the bars, restaurants and panaderías which litter the square and overspill onto the surrounding pavement. As you bask in Plaza Mayor’s impressive neo-classical architectural symmetry, you will get a glimpse of the Madrileño lifestyle in its truest form.

Palacio Real

Next up is the Palacio Real, but along the way stop off at the Mercado San Miguel which sits just outside the Plaza Mayor. Here you will find tapas, pinchos, pastries, seafood and sangria galore! Whilst you’re there, why not sample the Madrileño delicacy: un bocata de calamares (yes, that’s right, a deep-fried calamari sandwich!). The Spanish truly do make a sandwich with anything! A Spanish tortilla in a sandwich is also another delicacy… don’t judge it until you try it!

With a belly full of the finest treats Madrid has to offer, continue your stroll through Opera to the Palacio Real.

Admission into the Palacio Real is free for two hours every day, Monday-Thursday and is worth a visit. The ornate rooms adorned with lavish artwork by the likes of Caravaggio and Velazquez will transport you back to the grandeur of the Baroque period. Visitors are prohibited from taking photos inside the building so it really is something you must see with your own eyes

Sabatini Gardens

After you have nearly exhausted yourself exploring the huge expanse of the Palace, head to the Sabatini Gardens which lie adjacent to the Palace. Enjoy the serenity of the water flowing from the fountain and relax in the shelter of the tall green trees. There is also a great photo-op!

To Retiro!

If by this point you are feeling a little peckish, there are an array of places to eat in the nearby Plaza Oriente before catching the metro from Opera to Retiro (just a five-minute journey on Line 2, 4 stops and no changes!). At Retiro, walk along the park, taking in its vastness. Indulge in the romance of La Rosaleda (The Rose Garden) or even rent a little rowing boat on the lake by the impressive monument to King Alfonso XII – a total must-see!

If like me, you love a big meal, head to the wonderfully extravagant Barrio de Salamanca. Some restaurants here definitely have a price tag, however one which I found to be reasonably priced and totally delicious is “La Maruca”. With its plush interior, it’s the answer to affordable fine-dining. Order the “Banuelos de Bacalao”, Queso cremoso and Patatas Bravas …trust me, you won’t regret it!

Whilst you digest your food, walk back towards the centre of Madrid, passing the extraordinary Puerta de Alcala which is a gorgeous landmark all year round but especially when it’s in bloom.

Shortly after you pass the iconic Plaza de Cibeles, you will arrive at Paseo del Prado where you have three Art museums in relative walking distance to choose from! Head to El Prado if you fancy seeing some pre-Renaissance pieces, the Reina Sofia if you’re all about Picasso and want to see the world-famous “Guernica” painting, or to Museo Thyssen if you’re into modern and post-modern art – they have a Roy Lichtenstein!

After the museum of your choice, walk up Calle de Alcalá a short distance and you will find yourself at the Círculo de Bellas Artes (hopefully!) in time for a sunset drink! Take the lift to the Azotea (roof top bar) for cocktails with a view you’ll never forget. 

If you want to continue the night, head up Gran Via to Calle Fuencarral where you can choose between the equally groovy areas of Malasaña and Chueca for a night on the town! In Madrid, the night ends at sunrise so you’ll be dancing until the early hours. As you stumble out of the club, amid those on their morning commute, enjoy the sunrise over Gran Via as it illuminates shops galore – you have just enough time to pick up a souvenir to remember your fun-filled 24 hours in Madrid!

Third year History student Co-President of HerCampus Exeter