15 Motivational Quotations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The ‘holidays’ are over, and no doubt you’re all feeling drained and exhausted and just cannot wait for exams to be over… No matter how determined and committed we are to our fitness, our sport, or our life in general, everyone has those days where it all seems to get too much. Here is a boost for those tough days, 15 motivational quotations! Which one is your favourite?

1) The difference between excellence and mediocrity is commitment.

If you want to be great, it is the time and determination you put which can make that happen. Commitment is key.

2) There is no shortcut to success. You have to climb the stairs. 

Here’s one you Exeter students may be familiar with, it is there to greet you at the Sports Park as you climb up to the Russell Seal Fitness Centre mentally preparing you for a great workout!

3) Make sure your worst enemy doesn’t live between your own two ears.

A thought-provoking quote from Laird Hamilton, the American big-wave surfer. Do not let your own mind hold you back.

4) You don’t always get what you wish for, you get what you work for.

Simple and famous, but should never be forgotten – and also present at the campus gym – you get out of life what you put in to it, so work for what you want, it is unlikely to be handed to you.

5) Everyone falls down. Only the best get back up.

A simple but powerful truth, you can always get back up when knocked down, and you can try again and again until success.

6) If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.

Photo Credit: Secret Entourage

A quote from the top American racing car driver Mario Andretti, reminding us that a slightly disorganised, unpredictable life is okay: it means we’re living!

7) Don’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the further you get.

Another one on the wall at the Sports Park; let the sky be the limit when it comes to your own goals, allow your self to dream and achieve.

8) Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.

A fantastic quote from American Football coach Lou Holtz. Respond to things in a positive and productive way, and you can achieve so much.

9) Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didn’t let them down.

A personal favourite of mine, from the 2004 film Friday Night Lights. This famous, inspirational speech goes on to say ‘that truth is that you did everything that you could. There wasn’t one more thing that you could’ve done.’ This is great motivation for anyone training for a team sport: do everything in your ability to be the best you can be, and you can be proud that you let nobody down.

10) Life is meant to be a challenge, because challenges are what make you grow.

A quote from the Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao; take every challenge handed to you in life, defeat the challenge, and then use it to be better, to make you grow as a person.

11) Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.

From the famous baseball player Babe Ruth; yes, you’ll have set backs, you will not always achieve what you planned, but keep going, you’re getting closer to your own equivalent of a home run.

12) No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch.

On the days you don’t feel like it, on the days you haven’t gone as far as you liked – remember that at least you’re doing something, and do not under value the effort you are making!

13) Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

A quote from the American basketball player and coach; life will hand you situations, some negative things cannot be helped. It is the way you respond to them that counts, make the best of what you have.

14) If you’re bored with life – you don’t get up every morning with a burning desire to do things – you don’t have enough goals.

Another quote from Lou Holtz; everyday you should want to do things, to achieve things, and if you lose that desire: make some more goals!

15) Believe you can and you’re half way there.

Goals in life, no matter how far-fetched, are definitely more reachable if you have faith in your own ability. Be confident and determined, and you’re on your way to achieving your dream.

Next time you have a tough day, you meet a set back, or someone tells you that you’re not good enough: take inspirational from these wise words. Believe in yourself and use that to fuel your ambitions!