This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Several things tell me it’s nearly Christmas: festive songs in the shops, seeing my breath in my bathroom, the battle of the Christmas adverts. But one of the points on my calendar that really tells me we’re getting close (and that I need to get on with buying presents) is Truro City of Lights. Now in its 20th year, the light parade and annual turning on of the Christmas lights brings together local schools, colleges, community groups, artists and musicians and attracts huge crowds of people wearing as many layers as possible.

The 2016 parade almost didn’t happen but it went ahead thanks to last-minute support from the council, local businesses and donations, and I’m glad it did because everyone in the crowd enjoyed it despite the cold. A huge amount of work and talent goes into the procession and for many people it’s one of the highlights of winter, bringing a bit of joy to a freezing Cornish November. This year the theme was ‘Tell Me a Story’; groups created huge lantern structures inspired by stories and children followed with smaller lanterns. Creations included Aslan, the BFG, the Owl and the Pussycat and the White Rabbit – all incredibly impressive.

Armed with a mince pie, a hot chocolate and the majority of my winter wardrobe, I thoroughly enjoyed the parade. From the crowded train journey at the start to the numb feet at the end, it’s become a tradition and I’m sad that this is probably the last time I’ll go – one of the many things I’ll miss about Cornwall when I have to admit I’m not a student anymore and leave.

With all the lights and my terrible phone camera my photos aren’t the best, but here are some anyway:

If you didn’t make it to Truro City of Lights this year, you can watch the whole parade thanks to the Youtube channel Kernow Viddy and I’d definitely recommend you add it to your shiny new 2017 diary.

Victoria Williams

Exeter Cornwall

Hi! I'm Vicky, I'm 21 and I'm a third year Evolutionary Biology student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus. When I'm not learning about the weird ways animals reproduce you'll probably find me wrapped in a blanket with a book and a whole packet of custard creams.