This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Happy 1st December! Christmas is coming swiftly upon us, which means it’s time to get out our silliest novelty jumpers, put the kettle on and make some hot chocolate, and stick on some classic festive films. Like me, if you have a million things to do before the term ends, you may not be feeling so Christmassy yet. However, Christmas movies – whether old or new – are always great at making you feel a bit more jolly, even in the midst of deadlines. So here are my all time, top five Christmas movies! 

5. The Polar Express 

Even though The Polar Express is technically a kids movie, it’s a great film to revisit even when you’re (scarily) an adult. What adult doesn’t dream of being a kid again, jumping on board a magical train to visit Santa and his elves? Don’t even get me started on that hot cocoa… 

4. Home Alone 

These films are absolute classics, an absolute staple to the genre dolled out every Christmas – and for good reason! It doesn’t matter how many times you’ve seen them, you’ll still find yourself laughing at Kevin’s schemes. 

3.  The Muppets Christmas Carol

This one might need an acquired taste, but this super silly movie is also a touching, entertaining re-telling of Charles Dickens’s classic novel. Oh, and Michael Caine sings in it too! What more could you want?! 

2. Elf 

Buddy the elf is not only one of Will Ferrell’s greatest characters, he’s also the nicest and funniest elf you’ll ever have the pleasure of watching at Christmas. It’s an extravagnza of cheeriness, so you might as well have it on repeat for the next 25 days. 

1. It’s A Wonderful Life 

There’s a reason everyone says this is a great movie to watch at Christmas, but if you haven’t seen it before then I can’t tell you that reason! So go watch it! Laugh! Cry! Hopefully after watching at least one of these Christmas films those festive feelings will make themselves known to you! 

Molly Griffiths

Exeter Cornwall '18

I grew up in Paris but was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a British father. I'm literally obsessed with movies and literature. I also love animals and discovering new things.