Third Years: What To Do With Your Life When Teaching Finishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

The day has finally come. You have no more lectures or seminars. No more awkward stomach rumbling or getting in late and having to sit at the front like a keen bean. It’s a relief to begin with, but it’s the start of an end of an era. The end of your degree is in sight. But so is the rest of your life (just a trivial thought there…) So what are you going to do?

1) Enjoy your remaining time at University/College

It’s unlikely you’ll ever have as much freedom again. You’ll have to start being a responsible adult soon and actually buy vegetables (Aunt Bessie’s roast potatoes do not count!) So enjoy living independently and free whilst you can!

2) Be Sociable

Remember that person you met one drunk night in freshers? Remember how you never spoke to them again? Often being more sociable comes hand in hand with cider and/or wine, so why not contact them and go for a coffee? Or spend time with people other than your closest friends. Go crazy, bask in their company. It’s unlikely you’ll ever have an opportunity to be a social butterfly like this again. Unless you want to be a social caterpillar. That’s cool too.

3) Go for a walk

Remember how scared you were when you moved to your University town? Now that you’re comfortable why not just go for a walk? Stroll through town sober for once, just taking in all the sights (don’t stare at people too much though, unless you’re lucky enough to get a window seat in a café.)

4) Look forward to the future

Just because you’re slowly losing the safety blanket of education, you don’t have to lie on the floor in a foetal position (unless that is a part of your daily stretch routine.) You can now properly start living life your own way without the stress of deadlines or having to do a presentation on something you know as much about as algebra. Some will know what career they want and others will not, but the unknown is nothing to be scared of. Whether you have a plan or not, just enjoy the end of this era. You’ll probably never have another experience like it.

Emily Poole

Exeter Cornwall

History undergrad at the University of Exeter's Cornwall Campus. Love music, writing and trying to be funny in my spare time...
Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.