New Year Resolutions You Can Actually Keep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

So it is nearly that time of year again where you optimistically think about the next 365 days and how much healthier/stronger/happier you will be. But just in case you are having trouble answering when people ask you the dreaded ‘”Got any Resolutions this year?” here a few more attainable goals…

1. Stop going to the shop to buy unnecessary snacks. Pasties especially are not kind to the thighs.

2. Stop trying to squeeze into indie/alternative/hippy leggings. They merely make legs resemble pigs in blankets.

3. Accept the fact that you will never date someone on the music course, regardless of how successfully you can lie that you once played the drums for your local band…

4. For second years- stop pretending you are superior to Freshers’. There is only one year difference and most of them are likely to be cooler than you anyway.

5. Spend more time working than watching popular TV series. Generally Breaking Bad. Jesse being hot is not an excuse.

6.  Actually start going to the societies you paid for.

7. Develop a more exciting culinary menu. Spaghetti Bolognese does not count.

8. Limit yourself to dominos once a month. Okay that’s wishful thinking…a fortnight. (It is two for Tuesdays after all)

9. Start paying more attention to what is being said in lectures than what the lecturers are wearing. Albeit it double denim…

10. Come to terms with the fact that it is equally likely that Falmouth will get a Topshop and you will learn to surf.  Ie. Neither will ever happen.

Emily Poole

Exeter Cornwall

History undergrad at the University of Exeter's Cornwall Campus. Love music, writing and trying to be funny in my spare time...