wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

My Personal Take on Valentine’s: Why Everyone Can Celebrate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Romantic Love

Valentine’s Day can be really special when you’re in a relationship. I had some really wonderful Valentine’s Days with my ex-boyfriend, including fancy meals out, cutesy cuddly toys and soppy poems that I would probably cringe at now – but definitely loved at the time. Although I’m cynical about some things, Valentine’s Day isn’t something I disagree with, and I definitely wouldn’t trade in the cheesy times I had with my boyfriend now, even if the relationship didn’t go as planned. If you’re with someone this year for Valentine’s Day, I would encourage you to celebrate, even if just in a simple way – it doesn’t have to include commercialized excessiveness if you don’t want it to (although I would argue a bit of commercialized self-indulgence is important every now and then). Take a moment to reminisce about the times you’ve had with your partner. Watch a movie. Write a little note to your special someone. Sometimes the smallest gestures are the most poignant.

“Galentine’s Day”

If you are not with someone this year, then please don’t think that the day is irrelevant or inapplicable to you. I am of the opinion that Valentine’s Day is no longer simply for couples. Moreover, why do we feel the need to make ourselves miserable if we’re “alone” on Valentine’s Day? In most cases, we are not alone – we have a support system of family and friends to celebrate with. I don’t think it’s weird to want to celebrate platonic love this week – and every week, of course. This Valentine’s Day, my friends and I are going to make savoury and sweet pancakes in a combined celebration of Pancake Day, watch a romance film, and take some time to be thankful for the platonic love we have in our lives. I never feel alone when surrounded by my friends – and I hope others can find clarity and company with their gals and pals this Valentine’s Day too.

Making Love Last

My parents weren’t together during my entire childhood for a number of reasons. It was a tumultuous period and it taught me a lot about how love can be difficult, even if it runs incredibly deep. Every Valentine’s Day they were together, however, my dad wrote my mum a love poem. One year after they split, my dad wrote my mum a poem entitled “To the mother of my children” and explained all the reasons why he would always love her, even if they weren’t together. I’ve never forgotten this act of platonic love on a day meant for romantic love. It’s stuck with me, and every year on Valentine’s Day, I try not to feel sad if I’m not spending it with a significant other but instead find myself remembering all the different “kinds” of love in my life.

So if you have a partner this Valentine’s week, please celebrate with them – in any little way. Even if you’re apart, send a soppy message or promise to Skype soon. And if you’re “alone” – find your nearest pal and tell them you love them. Whether it’s romantic love, platonic love, self-love, all types of love are important and they’re all around us.

Exeter Cornwall undergraduate studying English