yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Local Halloween Celebrations in Cornwall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

It feels like it was only yesterday that I was celebrating the first day of Autumn. October has suddenly flown by, meaning that Halloween is swiftly coming upon us!

As someone that isn’t particularly fond of being scared and would dread the thought of watching horror movies all evening, I try and participate in Halloween in less spookier ways. Carving a pumpkin and passing out candy to cute little trick or treaters is my kind of Halloween, particularly when I get to eat all the leftover chocolate… 

However, seasonal events are also a great way to get involved with special occasions, allowing you to go out and explore your local area – everyone loves a good arts and crafts fair, right? With only a week to go until the big day, here is a list of some local Halloween themed events in Cornwall happening over the next week: 

Saturday 28th October: Halloween 2017, The Stannary Bar at Penryn Campus 

Even if you’re not in your first year anymore, Stannary events on campus are always bound to be good. The Stannary’s infamous Halloween party is back again this year, promising a night of spooky tunes and ghoulish dancing. There aren’t many tickets left, so check out their website or visit the bar in person to pick up a ticket while you can! With a £100 prize for the best Halloween costume, you better move quick… 

Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th October: Halloween Artisan Craft Fair, Enys Gardens in Penryn

Enys Gardens is a short uphill walk through a part of Penryn you may not have explored before, so it’s the perfect excuse to go for a nice autumnal walk this weekend! The £3 entry fee gets you access to all of the gardens with their new “spooky Halloween trail”, alongside some archery tasting, face painting, and a craft fair with stalls from local artists and creators. You can check out their website here to find directions to the garden itself.

Thursday 26th and Friday 27th October: Fright Night Halloween Tours, Pendennis Castle in Falmouth

Easy to get to and probably already on the list of places you’ve been meaning to visit recently, Pendennis Castle are holding ghostly tours of the castle and its grounds for two evenings this week. Here is what you can expect according to their website: “Join us on an eerie evening tour for an after-hours journey back into the castle’s creepy past. Meet our spine-tingling storytellers and discover tales of ghostly apparitions, dastardly deeds, and ghoulish goings-on. Not for the faint hearted!” 

Monday 30th October: Fright Night, Newquay Zoo

Why not take a trip to Newquay for the evening? Easy to reach by bus or train, Newquay Zoo are holding their very own Fright Night – with proceeds raised from ticket sales going towards the conservation work run by the zoo’s charity. Here is their description of the event: 

“The zoo, partnered with NT Drama, from Newquay Tretherras Academy, invite you to an evening of terror on the 30th of October. Watch the frightfully spooky stories performed in the deepest darkest depths of Newquay Zoo, led by some of our supernatural story tellers. Enjoy a hot chocolate and a stroll around the zoo at night lit by torch light – you don’t know what horror’s you’ll find!”

Saturday 28th to Tuesday 31st October: Halloween at Healeys, Healeys Cyder Farm near Truro 

A great excuse to go and sample some refreshing Cornish cider, Healeys are running a series of activities at the farm this weekend – fun for all ages! Enter their apple carving competition to be in with a chance of winning a Healey’s treat bag, take a tractor ride through their haunted apple orchards, or even take a candle lit tour down through their cellars to learn about the history of Healeys cider making. For more information, check out their website here to find out how to get there. 

Kacey Gaylor

Exeter Cornwall '18

Hello, I'm Kacey and I'm your President for Her Campus Exeter-Cornwall! Also a third year English student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus, so you'll find me in the back corner of the library behind a tower of books- just follow the scent of coffee...