This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

1) You Can Be Confident

Remember three years ago when you were a timid mouse, worried whether you would make any friends or be able to make it at University on your own? Look at yourself now, I bet you’ve grown so much. You’ve met new people, conquered new fears (most notably talking in front of people and working in groups) and you’ve learned that you can do anything (well almost, if you’re anything like me you still can’t successfully walk up a hill on campus without needing a rest.)

2) You Can Go It Alone

Along with confidence has come a new found self-assurance. You started from scratch without knowing your way around but now you know you can pretty much do anything alone. It’s nice to have friends and people by your side some of the way, but its not the end of the world if it’s just little old you (unless you’re a naturally annoying person and might even annoy yourself :)). 

3) You Can Be Healthy If You Want To Be

Cast your mind back to that month in second year when you went on a health kick and felt so much better for it. You learned that you can look after your own body and health just by eating a bit better or walking somewhere else other than the fridge.

4) People are Interesting

It’s doubtful you will ever be immersed in a community where there are so many different people. You have been lucky enough to meet people from different backgrounds, cultures and those with different points of view. It may have been challenging at times being acquainted with people with very different outlooks to yours, but life is about questioning what you think you know. Nothing is certain and you’ll be thankful in the end that your mind has been opened.

5) You Can Balance Work and Play

Made some really good friends? Go out a lot? Have a long distance relationship? Priorities such as these make it hard to get work done, but the majority of you will have still managed to bag yourself a good degree. How good does it feel that you can balance your life like that? (You might want to go and cry in a corner if you didn’t pass because you liked Jägerbombs that little bit too much…)

6) Struggles Make You A Better Person

I’m sure you have heard it before – you need struggles to make you appreciate the good – but it’s true. Think of a struggle you had at uni; maybe at one point you were lonely, missing home or finding the workload too much. But the likelihood is you have overcome these difficulties and are a more rounded person because of it. The ebb and flow of University life only reflects the ups and down of your future life. Every experience counts and can teach you important lessons.

Emily Poole

Exeter Cornwall

History undergrad at the University of Exeter's Cornwall Campus. Love music, writing and trying to be funny in my spare time...
Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.