How to Keep Warm in Your Student House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

So we all know how it goes, right? You and your fellow housemates take on different roles throughout the year – there’s the ‘Mum’ of the group, the ‘Joker’ of the group, or maybe the ‘Loveable, Messy’ one who just gets your goat with their lack-of-cleanliness or awareness, but who makes up for it with some top (albeit questionable) banter. 

I, myself, am ‘Designated Bill Sorter’. With this role comes the legacy of “We are not turning on the heating until mid-November.” That’s right, I’m that housemate, the one who sees their friends in thick hoodies and frowny faces, and yet sticks to their guns and says: “put on another layer, and it ain’t snowing outside!”

With this in mind, and in the hope that no one thinks me too harsh in wanting to help my household keep the bills low until December, I’ve come up with five top tips on how to stay warm during this almost-winter period.

1. Group hug

Huddle together for warmth! In my house, we often cook dinner at a similar time and then we sit in the living room to watch television. If you’re sitting together, you might as well snuggle. Isn’t it about time you and your house had a group cuddle anyway?

2. BLANKETS! 

If you can’t get your friends to cuddle with you, first of all, I’m sorry because hugs are the best, and secondly, blankets can be your new best friends. The softer the better, and the more blankets you own, the cosier any student flat will seem! They can also make your student house sofas seem a bit jazzier if they’re a little, let’s say, “worn out.”

3. Festive Drink Fun Times

Have you seen that Costa and Starbucks have released their Christmas drinks menus? Well, it’s time to get creative, guys! I love festive drinks and if it’s too early for decorations and music, it’s not too early for a little experimentation on “how many things can I add to my hot chocolate before it becomes too sickly?”

4. Fairy Lights/Scented Candles

Okay, stay with me on this one. They’re not going to physically warm you up but trust me, effective lighting make everything seem a hundred times more cosier! Now that it gets dark at, like, 3pm or something ridiculous, going for some atmospheric candles or fairy lights whilst you’re drinking your makeshift festive drinks and snuggling under your blanket with your besties,will only make those long nights feel warmer – and more wholesome too!

5. If all else fails, TURN THE HEATING ON!

Even as I’ve been writing this, I’ve realised that it’s absolutely freezing, guys. We’re in for a cold one this year, and no one’s going to be thanking me if we’ve all frozen solid during this busy deadline period. I mean, I’m stingy – but I’m not crazy!  And anyway, how much electricity can these old student house storage heaters really be using? My flatmates are going to love me when I tell them I’ve finally relented…

Anyway, I think it might be time for another festive beverage. After all, you’ve not lived until you’ve tried a melted-after-eight-hot-choccie! Finally, enjoy this photo (below) of my friend’s gratitude when I told her the heating was coming on today…  

Exeter Cornwall undergraduate studying English