The Benefits of Being Home For Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

If you’re one of those people who dread going home for any substantial period of time because Uni or college is like so good then have no fear.  Here are some little reminders to enable you to make this Christmas at home a little more bearable (if you’re dreading it that is. If not then as you were…)

1. Free Food:

When at home, you won’t have to spend hours totting up your budget and working out exactly how many super-noodles/pizzas/ciders you can buy. The fridge is always full.

2. Heating:

University housing is renowned for causing frostbite and/or cold feet and hands. But there will be none of that at home. Wack that radiator onto full without having to worry about the impending metre costs.

3.  Meeting up with Old Friends:

The trivial conversations with former friends may fill you with fear, but try and make an effort with those people you haven’t seen in a while. After all, Christmas is a time for sharing. (If you really hate them, just get them to pay for the drinks or food)

4. You actually miss your parents/siblings when you’re away:

The Christmas holidays may fill you with dread because your parents will be able to tell you what to do again, or you’re little brother will plead and plead until you play games with him. But embrace it all. It’s not often that they get to see their little princess/daughter/gremlin

5. Reminisce:

If you’re anything like me, then when I am home it brings back all the memories and all the things I have overcome in my life. By looking at your past self it is easy to see how far you’ve come today (or how you still haven’t shifted that stone you put on during fresher’s…)

Emily Poole

Exeter Cornwall

History undergrad at the University of Exeter's Cornwall Campus. Love music, writing and trying to be funny in my spare time...