This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

91% of women surveyed in the UK are unhappy with their bodies. 91%. That means 9 out of every 10 women:

This dissatisfaction, whilst in the majority of cases limited to a gentle sigh of discontent when looking in the mirror, can result in serious problems. From eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating, to depression and self-harm, the consequences of poor self-image can be horrific. The problem is that society perpetuates this discontent, resulting in a world where half the population are not happy with themselves. I can imagine the tutting and headshaking from many of the women reading this, the mutters of ‘how dreadful’ as they bemoan the state of their gender… however I have no doubt that these same women will look at themselves in the cruel artificial light of the bathroom later that night, squashing their faces and bodies this way and that, pummelling themselves like bread dough, in an effort to reduce the size of that thigh or hide the stretch mark on that stomach.

A primary factor leading to bad body image is the media. Our consumer society has led to a highly competitive advertising industry through which we are presented with the ‘ideals’ and the ‘best’; food, clothes, make-up…the list is endless. Models who are supposedly like you and I are used to sell these items. However, the ladies we are presented with are NOT a fair representation of women: they are marketed as the desirable, the ‘perfect woman’ and we are made to believe that such a look is achievable. However, let’s have a look at this advert for a bikini:

After releasing the image on the right in an advertising campaign, Debenhams admirably decided to release the original picture as they realised the battering that a woman’s self esteem took when presented with photoshopped and airbrushed images that were marketed as attainable. We can see that this already stunning women has been enhanced to perfection- which is synonymous with impossible! We look at this image, filled with self loathing at our own inadequacies, we try on the bikini in secret hope of being transformed into a goddess, and then lapse into a state of depression when the image in the mirror is the same imperfect, lumpy, flabby, NORMAL creature that we have always known. We grow to hate our bodies, to hate the models, to hate our friends that have better bodies; the poison of advertising gets everywhere.

The same is projected through celebrities:

On the left, Kim Kardashian is a gorgeous but normal woman; a little bit of cellulite, slightly uneven skin tone, a bulge here and there….on the right she’s smooth, even, unattainable, unrealistic… and apparently what we should be striving for. It doesn’t matter if you love her or hate her- the thing is that you SEE her- we are shown a ‘reality’ that seems to be a hairsbreadth away, when actually we can never reach it. Why? Because it’s not reality.

One of the saddest things that results from the body-image problem is the attitude that women develop towards each other. How many times have I heard the insults giggled behind the hand “Oh my god her arse looks massive”, or the backhanded compliment, “Yeah she’s quite pretty but have you seen her legs?”. It hurts that women rejoice in each other’s failings; that in some weird, skewed world, the fact that your friend has a spot on her back makes you feel better about your own imperfections. And please don’t read this and tell me that you haven’t EVER had a moment when the realisation that your beautiful, perfect, boy-magnet friend is less curvy than you thought didn’t bring a secret smile to your lips. The thing is, that before we can be kind about others, we have to be happy with ourselves and unfortunately that day is not yet here.

It is hovering in the near distance however, and hopefully this will help us reach it. Here are 10 steps to help you look and feel good:

1. Don’t wallow- don’t sit at home and moan about how chubby your thighs are- get up and do something about it.
  2. Eat HEALTHILY- feel free to snack, but make sure it’s on an apple rather than a chocolate bar. Of course, there are going to be times when the ice cream and chocolate are needed, but if you’re eating for the sake of eating, have something good for you!
  3. Exercise- do this however you want; walk, run, dance, skip; just do something to get the heart pumping and the blood racing. Don’t overdo it though!
  4. Self-love- Spend some time working out the things you love about your body.
  5. Clothes- go shopping and buy things that highlight your assets and cover whatever you think are your flaws. A good outfit can change your whole outlook on life!
  6. Talk to friends- you’re all insecure; even the girl that seems confident and beautiful is bound to have hook ups. Sometimes discovering that you’re not the only one with stretch marks or cellulite helps!
  7. Circle of love- surround yourself with people that make you feel good; if anyone’s getting you down, get them out of your life.
  8. Realisation- come to realise that you are who you are; you can’t change that and work with what you have
  9. Personality- it’s not all about how you look; remember that your biggest asset is your personality and don’t let a bad body day affect the way you act
  10. Don’t worry about what others think- if you feel good that’s all that matters and go out and enjoy yourself.

NOBODY IS PERFECT. We all have lumps and bumps and lines and marks and blemishes, some people hide them better BUT they’re all there! Do you really want to be like the model in the bikini who has to exercise hours every day, maintain a permanent diet, and still get told by photographers that she’s not good enough? Do you want to be the celebrity that gets told ‘You don’t look like you do in the magazines’ when they’re met in the flesh? NO. Why not? Because you want to be you. You ARE you. The body you have is all you will ever have, do the best that you can with it and then stick your finger up to the world because you are who you are and you should be proud of that. This article isn’t about bashing consumerism, or attacking celebrity culture; it’s about showing women that you can’t reach the unreachable, that you shouldn’t be jealous because you’re not perfect. Most of all it’s about learning to love who you are- because happiness starts with you.

Images: 1 2

Kirsten Munday

Exeter Cornwall

Olivia Burton

Exeter Cornwall