5 Writer Recommendations For Stress Relief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

In the midst of those all-important deadlines and mountains of essays that need writing, I am finding myself returning to my old literary favourites for comfort. Authors, and consequently their books, are always great if you need to relax in between essays. Here are my top 5 suggestions for authors that can help get you through your work load and calm your stressing.

5. Louisa May Alcott

This may seem like a strange choice, but I’ve always enjoyed reading about the March sisters. Maybe it’s something to do with the fact that Jo from Little Women is literally all of us when we’re in essay mode, but they were my first role models in literature. 

4. Jane Austen

This author may require a bit more brain-power on your part, but when (like me) you’re writing an essay on someone such as Sylvia Plath, it just might make your outlook a little lighter when you see yourself in one of her many characters. Imagining yourself as Elizabeth Bennet is a great way to start your day. 

3. William Shakespeare

This guy isn’t for everyone, so you may prefer to replace it with a good ol’ fantasy or science-fiction novel, but if you enjoy losing yourself in a different time period then why not give the Bard a try! You should probably go for a comedy over one of the tragedies though. 

2. John Green

If you really can’t get out of that stressful and depressive mood your impending deadline is putting you in, then John is a great author is good for catharsis. Just let the tears roll, and in doing so let out all of your bottled up emotions in one go. 

1. J.K. Rowling

My all time number one. The world Rowling has created in her novels is easy to get lost in and happily dream about for a while. Sometime you need a bit of escapism to be able to deal with the harsh realities university throws at you. 

Molly Griffiths

Exeter Cornwall '18

I grew up in Paris but was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a British father. I'm literally obsessed with movies and literature. I also love animals and discovering new things.