10 of the Best Moments from ‘Gilmore Girls’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

If you haven’t been living under a rock for the past year, you’ll know that next Friday, the 25th of November, is the day we all take a trip back to Stars Hollow with our favorite fast-talking, coffee-drinking Gilmores! In honor of thie special occasion, and in celebration of World Television Day today, here is a countdown of my top ten favourite Gilmore Girls moments – all subjective of course!

Also: there will be spoilers. You have been warned!

10. The ending – 7.22

Opinions may differ on the quality of season seven, especially after Amy Sherman-Palladino – the show’s creator and executive producer – left the show after season six was aired. However, many will agree that the last scene of the show, with the two girls sitting at a table at Luke’s with the camera panning out, just like it did at the end of the first ever episode, was a rather cool way of ending it, even, if the actors weren’t aware if a season 8 would be happening or not.

9.  A thousand yellow daisies – 1.21

Even if it didn’t end up working out with Max, his proposal to Lorelai in the season one finale is a wonderful gesture, and very romantic – even if he couldn’t find a horse to complete the picture!

8. “The Subsect” by Jess Mariano – 6.08

Ok, my “Team Jess” is shining through here, but no matter which boyfriend of Rory’s you preferred, or liked her as an independent spirit, you have to admit that the “nice young hoodlum” developed rather well over the series, and the scene where he shows up at Emily and Richard’s to give Rory the book he wrote, and tells her “I couldn’t have done it without you” is just the best.

7. The Gilmore Girls reunited – 6.09

This scene was a long-awaited one for fans of the show, the separation wasn’t just hard on the girls but their audience too!

6. Friday Night Fight – 6.13

Following on from the aforementioned reunion, this is one of the best Friday night dinners from the series. Arguments between the four family members interspersed with happy moments, it’s a funny and brilliantly acted scene.

5. Lane’s wedding – 6.19

Lane may not have had as many storylines as the titular characters, but her relationship with Zack, culminating in their two wedding ceremonies, is both sweet and “rock and roll”. Regardless of Lorelai’s disastrous speech, anyone would want to go to that wedding.

4. The Dance-A-Thon – 3.7 

Often voted one of the best Gilmore Girls episodes, “They Shoot Gilmores don’t they?” also features another zany town scheme, but one we wish could actually exist, what with the music and the great outfits. No break-ups, though, thank you!

3. ‘A House is not a Home’ – 5.22

The whole episode really is one huge moment for the series and the fans, but the moment that really sticks is Lorelai watching her daughter moving into the pool house. So sad! And then, if that wasn’t enough, Lorelai proposes to Luke! Talk about an emotional rollercoaster.

2. Luke and Lorelai FINALLY make out – 4.22

Luke and Lorelai always had chemistry, and so many missed moments over the first four seasons, so when they finally kissed in the season four finale, everyone rejoiced. Literally, everyone.

1. Rory: Valedictorian – 3.22

Rory’s graduation from Chilton takes the top spot because not only is it a moment that really shows us who Rory is, but it also focuses on the most important relationship on the show: Lorelai and Rory’s.

There are more great moments, of course, too many to count really, and hopefully with the revival, there’ll be more!

Molly Griffiths

Exeter Cornwall '18

I grew up in Paris but was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a British father. I'm literally obsessed with movies and literature. I also love animals and discovering new things.