mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Leaving the Nest for the Summer is SO Hard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Somehow, we’ve found ourselves in May with summer right around the corner. Everyone is excited for beach weather, old friends, no school work, etc. The list goes on and on. However, for a lot of people, leaving the nest for the summer is the worst time of year. Sure, we’re all excited to have real food and not Callahan, we’re happy to not have to go outside when it’s raining, or fight for parking on campus anymore. But, leaving the nest means no more gullfriends every single day, unless you’re willing to drive 3-6 hours every day to Connecticut, Western Mass, New York, etc. Summer means no more drunk nights with fellow gulls, wandering around campus and most likely ending the night stuffing our faces at the lodge or ordering prides. No more pictures against the “best” white wall in the dorm or huge group pictures where it is impossible to get everyone to look at the camera at the same time. Going home to your old friends is nice, but let’s face it, no one compares to your fellow gulls.

Leaving campus is leaving a place you’ve called home for 9 months. I’ve referred to Endicott as “home” more than once when talking at work, saying “I’m going home” or when I’m on the phone “when I get home…”. Multiple times this year, I’ve wanted to be at Endicott opposed to actually being at home, because the people here are like family to me. Not everyone feels this way, but I know a majority of people do and leaving the nest for the summer is really hard.

If leaving your friends and the campus isn’t bad enough, you also have to leave your roommate. I can understand that this is bittersweet because you’ve been crammed together in a box for 9 months and you are kind of done with that. However, you’ve also lived with this person for 9 freaking months, living alone is almost unimaginable. College is the only place where the truest friendships are made because you are forced to share such a personal space with another person. You and your roommate are like a married couple at this point and you can’t imagine not being with them every second of every day.

Lastly, how I will miss that lovely ocean. A big reason students come to Endicott is because the beach is our backyard and we don’t get that when we go home. The smell of the ocean and rocky walks down to Tupper beach will be missed the most. I never get sick of the view of the ocean I get to see every day at my home away from home. I wouldn’t trade it for anything and I’m definitely already looking forward to the fall.

More Reasons to Miss the Nest:

-Dennis is not around at breakfast, lunch and dinner to greet you during the summer

-The Soap Boyz (RIP) are not around to wreak havoc with soap around your hometown

-A banana is just a banana in the summer, not an EC banana

-The Sunday scaries are still scary, but not as scary as they are when you’re at the nest

-No Boston Bagel…this one is especially painful for me

-No Singing Beach, no Peace Rock, no Tupper

-No more free gym

-No more chicken pattie satties

-Or seven layer bars

-Karaoke night might be missed? For some.

-No one understands when you say LSB, Post, AC, Lodge, etc. You basically speak another language

-In the summer, it’s a great day to be a gull, but it’s not the same when you’ve left the nest

-This list could go on forever, so, when you share this article, post what you’ll miss about Endi this summer

Have a great summer fellow gulls! xo

Passionate peer educator and self proclaimed sexpert. I enjoy talking dirty about the anatomy of the human body. More often than not, you'll find me binge watching Ted Talks. Happiest nanny to three wonderful kiddos. And I'll never forget that everyday is a a great day to be a gull.
Just a girl who loves bread, exercise and traveling.