Humans of Endicott

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Name: Penny Singh

Age: 36

Job Title: Coordinator of Theater

Hometown: Saint Charles, Illinois (currently live in Salem, MA)

Tell us a little about your professional background and where you went to school.

I have been a performer since I was very young.  I studied music, theatre and dance growing up.  My undergrad is from a small private liberal arts college very similar in size and feel to Endicott – Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington, IL.  I earned my degree in Vocal Performance, and my focus there was also theatre and piano in addition to voice.  I moved to Boston to pursue my Master’s Degree in Opera Performance from the Boston Conservatory (now Boston Conservatory at Berklee.)  

Upon completing my degree at the Conservatory I worked as a performer in and around the city, primarily in musical theater.  At the time I also worked in Arts Administration as the Audience Services Manager for the Huntington Theatre Company.  I later worked as a vocal and musical theatre instructor for the Boston Children’s Theatre and my connection to them eventually led me to my teaching position at Endicott College.

Why did you chose to go into teaching?

I began working as a Director and Private Vocal Instructor at age 18.  It was something that came naturally to me as a means of sharing the things I loved most in this world.  Bringing the performing arts to life for students and watching them learn and grow is my greatest joy.

Tell me a little about yourself and why you chose to come teach at Endicott?

I had always wanted to teach at the collegiate level.  I realized my dream very quickly and quite honestly fell into the job after working with Boston Children’s Theatre for a summer, where I worked primarily with high school students. My mentor there asked if I would be interested in teaching his courses at a sweet college I had never heard of that was located on the beach.  How could I say no?  I have now been here for eight years and was just recently (as of August 2016) promoted to be the Coordinator of Theater.  

What are some of the classes you teach here?

I teach Acting I & II, Directing, Introduction to Theater, Private Acting, Voice and Piano.

Is there a favorite class you teach? If so, please tell us about it. 

Every course is rewarding to teach for different reasons, but if I had to choose I would say Directing is my favorite!  It is exciting to watch young artists find their own voice and grow into leaders that are capable of making a difference and sharing their unique views through the art of theater.

Have you taught anywhere else?

Yes, Boston Children’s Theatre, Stoneham Theatre, Weston Drama Workshop to name a few!  I am also a certified Yoga Instructor and spent several years working for KidPowerment teaching yoga, drama and music to young children.

What’s something unique about you?

I am pretty obsessed with my cat Polly.  She has 6 toes on each of her front paws and she is very cuddly like a stuffed animal except she is alive.

Most interesting decoration in your house?

My best friend made a beautiful wood carved a replica of the logo for our wedding which just happened last summer.  She actually took a six month course to learn how to carve for the sole purpose of making us this piece as a wedding gift.  

Favorite Musical or straight play?

How to pick!?!?  All-time favorite musical is West Side Story and play is Our Town.

What’s your favorite animal and why?

Cats – domestic and wild.  I don’t actually know why, I just declared it one day to my mom when I was five.  We didn’t have cats in our home, we had two dogs.  I just knew it deep down in my soul.

Dog or Cat person?

Cat, see above.  :D  I love all fuzzy things though and while I am die-hard over cats (clearly) I also adore dogs.

Dunks or Starbucks?

STARBUCKS.  Also a die-hard coffee fan and it must be strong for it to be Penny-approved. 

Favorite thing about Endicott? 

Tie between my colleagues, the Rose Hall and the proximity to the ocean.

Favorite song lyric?

“We’re neither pure, nor wise, nor good, we’ll do the best we know.”  From “Make Our Garden Grow”, Leonard Bernstein’s Candide.

What’s a favorite place that you have been or a place you really want to go?

The Almafi Coast of Italy.  We visited for our honeymoon and it was gorgeous, the food was out of this world and it was just so unique and unlike anywhere I’d ever been before.  

Lastly, how do you like to spend your free time?

Hanging with my hubby, cat, friends, family.  Yoga, long walks/runs, reading, seeing live theater, in the summer I’m at the beach whenever possible.  

I graduated from Endicott College with a B.S. in Marketing Communication and Advertising, with a minor in Photography. I am now attending Emerson College to attain my M.A. in Digital Marketing and Data Analytics. I love fashion, lifestyle, entertainment, social media, and photography! 
Just a girl who loves bread, exercise and traveling.