5 Reasons why Michelle Obama is the Best FLOTUS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

The position of first lady has been greatly changed since Martha Washington held the title. Women, such as Michelle Obama are no longer sitting quietly beside their husbands, but working beside them. Michelle Obama is a highly educated, intelligent and passionate working mother of two. She is a leader of our nation, and well-renowned all over the globe. Through her “grace, grit, style, and good humor” she is a role model to so many members of the younger generation.

She’s qualified for a job she doesn’t have to be qualified for.

Michelle attended Princeton University, graduating cum laude (honors) in 1985. She went on to earn a degree from Harvard Law graduating in 1988. Following her graduation, she worked at a Chicago law firm (where she met her future Husband, Barak Obama).  Michelle is also the third First Lady to have a postgraduate degree. There have been 45 presidents and there have only been three first ladies who have a postgrad degree.

She is a style legacy.

From growing up on the South Side of Chicago to having all eyes on her, moving to Washington Michelle Obama’s influence on fashion is unparalleled. She seems to have the “Kate-effect”, referring to Kate Middleton, she wears whatever or whoever and it’s an instant hit. Michelle has been seen wearing things from top designers like Tracey Reese, Michael Kors, Jason Wu and Alexander McQueen to retail brands like J.Crew and  Ralph Lauren.

She’s used her position to help others.

In 2010 she launched Let’s Move! Child Care to ensure that our youngest children are getting a healthy start. Which had a goal to solve the epidemic of childhood obesity within a generation. She initiated Walgreens, Supervalu, Walmart and several regional grocers to announce a commitment to build or expand 1,500 stores in communities with limited or no access to healthy food. This created thousands of local jobs, and provided access to fresh food for an estimated 9.5 million people.

In 2014, Mrs. Obama launched the Reach Higher Initiative, an effort to inspire young people across America to take charge of their future by completing their education past high school. Expose students to college and career opportunities; helping them understand financial aid eligibility; encouraging academic planning and summer learning opportunities; and supporting high school counselors who do essential work to help students get into college.      

She inspires empowerment.

As a young woman in the United States, growing up into my adulthood watching Michelle Obama serve for 8 years has been a privilege. She has shown me in many ways that everyone can be heard, each person’s voice matters. From the beginning of Barak Obama’s first campaign, she has been the poster woman for equality and highlighting the importance of the future generations.

In her final speech as first lady she mentioned that young people need to realize that they are important. Michelle has recently been working closely with education directors to do this, bringing together more workshops to motivate students. One final takeaway everyone should hear is a quote from the first lady’s final speech, “Don’t be afraid. Be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered. Lead by example with hope.” She gives us hope and a peace of mind. She shows us our full potential on making the impossible, possible. I am proud of her.

She’s a Feminist.

Michelle hosted a White House dinner to support mentoring programs for young girls, encouraging them to break the glass ceiling. She said “Once you see somebody on TV it looks like it’s easy, but the truth is we only know many of these women once they’ve become famous, once they’re in the news. Faith and love and hard work — that’s what got us through. You don’t need money or connections. The question is, do you let that fear stop you?”

We can be the boss in our workplace. We have the right to an education just as much as men do. We have earned the right to achieve our hopes and dreams. We have a say in how we want to live our life. This is exactly what Michelle Obama has done. She is a strong, independent black woman just getting what every woman and minority strives to have a taste of.

Farewell FLOTUS.

Although I will miss Mrs. Obama as our First Lady, I know that she will still achieve success no matter where she goes. Thank you, Michelle Obama, for setting the bar so high for all of us women just so we as well can gather the strength those very barriers have tried to hold us back on.

~Eva Graef

“Michelle Obama.” Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 20 Jan. 2017. Web. 07 Feb. 2017.

Staff, Essence. “Top Ten: Michelle Obama’s Favorite Designers.” Essence.com. Essence.com, 25 Oct. 2016. Web. 07 Feb. 2017.

“Job Well Done First Lady! 16 Accomplishments Of Michelle Obama.” BlackDoctor. N.p., 20 Dec. 2016. Web. 07 Feb. 2017.

Eva Graef

Endicott

Just a girl who loves bread, exercise and traveling.