jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Guide to Layering with Vests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It feels like winter is finally here! It’s starting to get significantly colder here in the ATL, and it doesn’t seem like its going to warm up anytime soon—winter is here to stay! For lovers of layering, like myself, this is super exciting. Winter layering is my all-time favorite because I can change my outfit by removing some of my layers as the day goes on—I love the ability to change my look midday. Personally, I think the best layering item is a vest. Here are a few of my favorites picks:

1. Vince Funnel Neck Zip Vest ($445):

I love this vest because it’s a vest/sweater/cardigan all in one! The honey color is a nice neutral hue, which makes it a perfect piece for layering because you know it will go with just about everything. The funnel neck is also great because when it’s really cold, you can zip it all the way up and have an instant turtleneck/scarf basically built into your sweater.

1. J.Crew Excursion Quilted Down Vest ($120):

This traditional puffer vest is great when you want to go for a preppy look and it’ll definitely keep you warm because it’s filled with down. It’s also available in petite sizes and seven different colors, so whether you love bright colors or neutral tones, there’s a vest for you!

1. Burberry Brit Cranstead Puffer Vest ($495):

This is a great option if you want a puffer vest with a small twist. It still features the classic quilted look, but with shaping seams that let you adjust the waist to cinch it in. Trying to keep yourself from looking like a box when wearing puffy or oversized outwear is always a bit difficult, but this vest’s adjustable waist band makes it easier to accentuate your curves.

1. J.Crew Plush Fleece Excursion Vest ($138):

I love this vest for an outdoorsy, cozy vibe when you want to look great but still feel comfortable. It’s super soft, which is always a plus with outerwear. It comes in navy and in the honey hue above, called ‘Golden Hickory.’ It’s a lightweight vest with a slimmer fit, so if its super cold you can even layer it under a larger jacket for extra warmth.

1. Vince Camuto Ombré Faux Fur Vest ($179):

If you’re going for a dressier look, this ombré vest is a must. This soft faux fur vest has a pretty palate of purple ombré and is perfect if you want the look of fur without the sticker shock. This piece is also very versatile because it can look great with a great date-night dress or even a simple tee shirt.

Happy layering!

Her Campus at Emory University