Top 10 Emory Themed Party Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Before college, we went shopping looking for things to wear when we go out. Of course the typical purchases include pieces that will impress the frat boys (aka low cut shirts, tight dresses, and killer heels). But these things don’t take into account the numerous themed parties that Emory has and the specific attire required for them. Add these random things to your shopping list because they are as essential as your go-to little black dress!

1.Animal Ears

Whether you’re a mouse (duh), bunny, or cheetah everyone will clearly see the effort you put into dressing in theme. Ears will change your cute dress you wanted to wear into a full on costume. Animal costumes can be appropriate for multiple themes such as hunt or be hunted, Playboy, or simply Halloween.

2. Neon Leggings

Channel your inner 80s with a bright pair of neon leggings. These function perfectly as rave attire, will keep you relatively warm during your long walk back from the row, and will definitely make you stand out (literally).

3. A Sheet

Everyone is bound to attend a toga party at some point during college. To avoid having to cut up and destroy the bed sheets you sleep with, have an extra set with you to use for your costume.

4. Ugly Christmas Sweater

When the weather gets colder (or in Atlanta’s case it may be warm at this point, who even knows) you know a Christmas party is approaching. Search for the most ugly Christmas sweater you can find to rock at this festive party. Though you may be sweating in an AEPi senior’s basement, at least you’ll be in theme.

5. Oversized Button Down

Did someone say risky business? An oversized button down is a must-have, allowing you to be as risqué or conservative as you want with its easy access buttons. Steal one of your dad’s or buy your own because you’ll need it.

6. Spandex

It’s a good thing any costume can incorporate spandex since some of us can’t bring ourselves to get to the Woodpec to make use of them there. Spandex can work for practically any theme and will definitely cause guys to stare. The planners of WOBO clearly have this in mind.

7. Bead Necklaces

Beads are the perfect accessory that say “in costume” in a subtle yet effective way. Easy to throw on, inexpensive, and fun, they will definitely come in handy. If you are going to Mardi Gras you will need them so you might as well get them now!

8. White Clothing

This ranges from more formal white clothing like jeans and flowy tanks to short shorts and cotton tanks. All white parties are common and you’ll need more casual inexpensive things for paint parties. At college, white is the new black.

9. Fanny Pack

Who knew these would have a comeback?! Perfect for a rave setting where you’ll need your hands free to be dancing, and you are at a higher risk of losing your phone/Emory card. Your belongings will literally be attached at your hip. Though people may judge your fashion choice, these same people may wake up phoneless the next morning.

10. Confidence

Obviously nobody is dressed normally at these kinds of parties, and if you are, you are not doing it right. Make sure to be super confident and rock your themed outfit no matter what it is. Normal outfits are overrated and confidence in what you are wearing will make a way bigger statement.

Allison is a senior at Emory University studying Journalism and the rather complicated major of Interdisciplinary Studies: Visual Studies and Contemporary Cultures. She is slightly obsessed with magazines and has written and edited for Her Campus since its start at Emory her freshman year. At Emory she can generally be found giving tours to prospies, hanging with her ADPi sisters, DJ-ing with WMRE and om-ing in yoga classes. Allison enjoys music, drawing, and fashion, and like most college students she is completely addicted to coffee. After graduation she wants to work in public relations or marketing, but her secret dream is to become Lena Dunham. Follow her on Twitter: @alldayallison