Taking the ‘Work’ Out of Your Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The thought of putting in all that effort to walk to the WoodPEC just to walk even more on a treadmill while staring at the back of someone else’s sweaty head really isn’t that appealing. So, as a result, we usually give ourselves some excuses to avoid hitting the gym. But if all that’s stopping you from heading over to the gym is just the anticipation of an incredibly boring workout routine, you’re in for some good news – there are plenty of ways to workout and still have fun at the same time. Here are some tips to get in shape while keeping the excitement high.  

1.  Buddy Up:

Working out with a friend is a great way to keep motivated. In between sets, you have somebody to catch your breath with and talk (or pant) about your day with. Your buddy can be your source of entertainment. So find a friend who actually likes to workout and get fit with them!

2.  Add Variety:

There’s always that person on the cross-trainer that’s more engrossed in the episode of Gilmore Girls than in the workout. For her, it probably started as a need to add some entertainment to the same old workout. But, it’s time to ditch the same old workout and add some elements of spontaneity to keep your motivation up.

Next time, try the rowing machine or the stepper. Go out for a run around campus or at Lullwater. Also, explore the other end of the gym and lift some weights – don’t let the typical male vibe intimidate you!

Or, if you’re happy with your workout machine, stay with it while changing it up with some intervals. Walk for a minute, and then run for two minutes. This high-intensity training need only last for 10 to 15 minutes, but believe me – it’s far more exciting and useful than 20 minutes of Netflix at the gym.

3. Group Fitness

Maybe the gym just isn’t right for you. You just can’t exercise in its incredibly mechanic environment. Don’t worry: there’s a solution to that! Explore the classes at the Pink Barre Studio at Emory Point or try a spin class at Play Emory. Experience the thrill of a Zumba class, or the intensity of boot-camp, sweat it out at a HIIT class or mellow down with some Yoga. Seriously, the choices are never ending.

4. Club Sports

Have you ever played Ultimate Frisbee? Soccer? Or even joined the running club at Emory? If not, well, then it’s time to change that answer. Club Sports are the greatest way to exercise with some amazing people and in possibly the most exciting way ever. And in case you’re worried about not having any prior experience, don’t be. Experience is never a pre-requisite at these clubs, and they are possibly some of the most accepting communities on campus. Use this on-campus resource to get in shape while having a great time!

5. Music

And while all of the above are great ideas, sometimes music is the cure to all. Download some workout appropriate tracks, and live your workout. Here are some suggestions:

• Take Me Home- Cash Cash
  • Danza Kuduro- Don Omar
  • Fireball- Pitbull
  • Lets Get It Started – Black Eyed Peas
  • Lean On – Major Lazer
  • Shut Up and Dance- Walk the Moon
  • Cheerleader – OMI

Well, it’s an end of an era isn’t it? That’s right – the era of making excuses and ditching your workout. It’s so much easier to be lazy and skip it, but you’ll feel so much better after you’ve worked out.  

Her Campus at Emory University