This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

To tell you the truth, I watch a full game of football once a year (if even). However, that time of the year has come around again with the Super Bowl 50 scheduled for February 7th. The upcoming American football game will determine the NFL champion for the 2015 season. This year, the Carolina Panthers (NFC) will take on the Denver Broncos (AFC) at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

If you’re anything like me, then you probably don’t know too much about the game, but want to sound like you know what’s going on while you’re watching with your friends. To learn some easy facts about this year’s Super Bowl, I asked a few guys and girls around campus to explain the game to me. Here’s what I learned:

Broncos Talking Points:

1.     The Broncos have the best defense in the league.

2.     Peyton Manning (Quarterback)

• Manning is arguably one of the best quarterbacks of all time. Expect to see him in the Hall of Fame.
  • Overall, he had a pretty bad year. He was benched earlier this season for an injury.
  • Manning is now 39 years old, making him relatively old for the NFL. Therefore, this game will probably be his last Super Bowl. He’s considered to be an “old school quarterback.”
  • During the final week of the regular season, the Broncos were down in a game. The head coach put Manning into the game. Manning led his team to victory and off to the Super Bowl.
  • Manning sometimes struggles under pressure, particularly in the playoffs.

3.     Other key names to drop include all-star defensive players Demarcus Ware (Linebacker) and Von Miller (Defensive End).

Panthers Talking Points

1.     The Panthers have one of the best offenses in the league. The team had an incredible season record of 15-1. The Panthers also have a notoriously great community. The team gives footballs to kids in the stands after every touch down and dances their signature move, “dabs.”

2.     Cam Newton (Quarterback)

• Newton has a very polarized fan base. A lot of people dislike Newton for his lack of humility. He is extremely celebratory on the field, which is considered by many to be unsportsmanlike.
  • In contrast to Manning, Newton represents the next generation of quarterbacks.

3.     Other key names to drop include Luke Kuechly (Linebacker) and Josh Norman (Cornerback).

This year may be the first in which I enjoy the game as much as the Bud Light, Coca Cola, and Doritos commercials. (Though it still can’t rival the Coldplay featuring Beyoncé halftime performance.) Happy Super Bowl 50!

Cayla is a freshman at Emory University studying English and Media Studies. Her hobbies include editing photos of food and going on long walks on the beach. She can usually be found re-organizing her room, promoting gender equality, or talking about her amazing taste in music. You can follow Cayla on her Instragram @caylabam. 
Her Campus at Emory University