Spring Wardrobe Staple: The Trench Coat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

You always see pictures of alluring French women surrounded by an air of mystery and feminine mystique in their big coats, sky-high heels, and dark sunglasses. Do you ever wonder how they manage to effortlessly pull together any look? The answer: the trench coat. This timeless and classic piece works over jeans and blouses, tights and dresses, or skirts and tops. It can be worn with flats, heels, boots, or any type of shoe you can think of (however, let’s skip the sneakers here!). Developed by Burberry in 1901, this coat is the perfect staple for any girl’s wardrobe, with the power to finish an outfit or be the outfit in itself.

When buying a trench coat, don’t forget to look for a durable coat in a neutral beige color, a length just at your knees, a belt to cinch at the waist, and a double-breasted front for a clean, classic fit. Once you’ve found your perfect match, get ready to wear your coat all spring long. Through the rainy and sunny days, the trench coat works all season, keeping you warm and dry or providing the perfect spring cover up for those slightly cooler days!

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).