Rompers and Jumpsuits and Playsuits, Oh My!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

No matter how much you love clothes or fashion, sometimes getting dressed is just a huge pain. Especially when you’re running late, finding a top and bottom that both match and look fashionable can be tough. Solution? Rompers! Just as easy as a dress, these babies are a top and bottom put together and they look amazing.

Rompers, sometimes called playsuits, can come in handy in a ton of different ways. A casual romper can be great on a hot day when you’re going to class and don’t want to fuss with a ton of different items. Rompers are also a bit more put together than just a pair of jean shorts and a tank, so they can be worn to fancier events as well.

Rompers can also be great to throw on over a bathing suit if you’re going to the beach or pool.

Don’t fret if it’s too cold for shorts, because there’s always the jumpsuit! A jumpsuit is pretty much the same thing as a romper, except with full length bottoms. Jumpsuits can be a tad harder to pull off than a romper for a number of reasons. First of all, if you have a jumpsuit covered in print, it can easily be overwhelming, so if you decide you do want to go with a printed jumpsuit, make sure the cut is clean and streamlined.  Oftentimes printed jumpsuits are great with a wider pant because the flow of it makes the outfit seem more casual.

Another way to go with the jumpsuit is a more structured one, like this utilitarian one here. These are a lot easier to wear, as there’s less fear of being too “out there.”

A jumpsuit can also be a great alternative to a dress for fancy occasions! Paired with a streamlined clutch and a great pair of heels, these babies can carry from day to night just as easily as a LBD can!

One tricky thing about jumpsuits and rompers is the fit. Because it’s not open on the bottom like a dress is, they can sometimes pull if your torso is longer than the cut is meant for. I strongly suggest finding a fit that’s good for you in a store, rather than online, because rompers are tough to find in a perfect fit! Trust me, I’ve been trying to find a perfect one for months! Good luck!

Her Campus at Emory University